15mm JG Speedfit on the CH Pipework

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by DannyDoLittle, Sep 19, 2017.

1. DannyDoLittle

DannyDoLittle Active Member

Morning gents..

I know that it's frowned up by the old & bald amongst you, however what's peoples thoughts on the use of 15mm JG Speedfit on the CH pipework. Now I know according the JG they aren't rated for the CH stuff however it's everywhere.

What's the pros and cons.

TIA

2. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Who says? JG don't ... http://www.johnguest.com/speedfit/products/plumbing-fittings-home/plumbing-fittings/ states:

Plastic Push-Fit Plumbing Fittings
    JG Speedfit is a push-fit system suitable for the plumbing of hot and cold water services and central heating applications, including pressurised and combi systems. Speedfit plastic push-fit plumbing fittings have been designed for use with both Speedfit and copper pipe.​

You just need to ensure that you are within the temperature and pressure ratings. There are a few fittings - mainly valves, I believe, that are not CH rated but the connectors certainly are.

3. DannyDoLittle

Arhhh ok.. I just looked at the packets.. when they say Not suitable for CH (over 65degrees)

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Plastic pipe/fittings. upload_2017-9-19_10-9-32.gif

Good old fashion copper & soldered fittings for me.:)

5. DannyDoLittle

Like I said pal... it might be frowned upon by the OLD & bald lol

6. Pollowick

If it does, that will be at odds with te tech spec unless your were looking at one of te few not suitable:

Go to: http://www.johnguest.com/speedfit/product/10-15-22-28mm-size-fittings/equal-elbow/ and select Tech Spec

Working temperatures and pressures

Application Usual working temperature,°C Maximum working temperature,°C Maximum working pressure, bar
    Cold Water (indirect and direct mains) 20 20 12
    Central Heating 82 105, short term malfunction at 114 3
    Hot Water (including unvented cylinders) 65 95 6​

Not formatted properly here, but basically for CH you can run at a nominal 82°c and up to 105°c at 3 bar.

and here: http://www.johnguest.com/speedfit/products/plumbing-fittings-home/valves/ they show radiator valves.

However, from personal preference, I would use Hep2O although both are of the same quality level

DannyDoLittle likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ain't bald yet, but it's receding faster than the tide going out at Blackpool, definitely old though.:(

DannyDoLittle likes this.
  8. DannyDoLittle

Think of all that knowledge & experience... you've possibly forgot more than I know with regards to DIY lol

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Check installation details with your boiler. First 1m (usually but may state 1.5m or similiar) must be piped in copper

This question always sparks up a good debate :)

Reading more on the subject, it's clear that on the vast majority of leaks, failures, fittings blowing off, etc, it's down to poor installation practices with the plastic pipe and fittings. Very few instances I've read have been down to the failure of the pipe or fittings themselves

I just think that people (diy'ers or shoddy 'tradespeeps') just think that the system is so so simple to use, just cut pipe, push, join, job done but that's not the case

Care and attention and good working practices must be adhered to for a successful job, but, taking all of that into account, it is simple to use for sure

Pollowick likes this.
  10. Pollowick

Totally agree. Do that, use the right tools and plan it - then yes, it is simple. For example, use the right type of pipe cutter, either rotary or a slicing knife both of which give a clean square cut and cut on a mark. A rough cut using a hacksaw which I have seen, leave a rough end which can scratch the O-ring and that can be enough to allow a fitting to leak.

DIYDave. likes this.
  11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Still got a good amount of hair and around 17 years old at heart :rolleyes:

End feed copper always for me, my soldering might not be the neatest and it takes me a while, but would never use plastic fittings on a CH system. Might use them for hot/cold water pipes feeding basin and bath if there was a good reason to.

KIAB and DannyDoLittle like this.
  12. DannyDoLittle

The 1st 2mtrs will be in copper as a "just in case", that's all ready go to go.

What cuts have been made have been made square, with the correct JG Speedfit cutter for upto 22mm so no issues there. As for pushing them home, every single fitting has been put in until you can feel it hit the rubber O-ring & then pushed home internally, then every fitting has been screwed up (as per JG fitting instructions) I know full well that the fit up is fine.

The reason I asked this question initially is because I've used a few compression fittings.. some tees & 90degree elbows but found that some of the elbows even when tight could still move, I've since found out the reason for that after doing a bit of digging... it's because I've used superseals in the pipe & not the standard seals (Superseals are slightly longer at the seal end compared to standard seals) so will get those sorted also. No big issue as I've found it prior to putting any pressure through the system.

13. DannyDoLittle

The back bone of the CH system is in JG Speedfit, however all tails to rads etc will be copper tails to TRV's / lock shields etc. No way would I have plastic piping on show, copper looks neater for the finished product.
    The domestic H&C system is already inplace & again in JG Speedfit, however without a boiler (as yet) I've only got domestic cold water for the likes of the loo, sink & a cold water supply to an easily accessible point for mixes and things, this will change prior to having the boiler fitted.

14. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I think the main issue with super seals and compression fittings is the O rings on the inserts

Just plain standard inserts with compression fittings

The olive will seal, the insert stops the pipe from crushing or deforming. Just don't overtighten - how tight though .............now that is the question !! :eek:

DannyDoLittle and Pollowick like this.
  15. Pollowick

Reminds me of some 22mm T's supplied with a water softener. Used 22mm Hep2O pipe with correct inserts, but one joint of three on both T's leaked! I found out the reason after much head scratching - the pipe was going fully into the T however it was so deep that the olive was actually behind the insert. I needed to put about 25-30 mm of plain Hep2O inside that one leg before putting the pipe with insert in and tightening up.

16. DannyDoLittle

Yeah, that's exactly it.

DIYDave. likes this.