15mm x 10mm Reducer leaking

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by bogstandard, Sep 24, 2006.

1. bogstandard

bogstandard New Member

Hi

Have just made a couple of DIY T joints 15mm to 10mm, using a compression fitting reducer.

Also used a reducer at the TRV....All of the reduced joints are leaking despite being tightened more so than the standard olive joints.

ps..I left out the olives for the reduced joints.

Anyone else experienced this.....any ideas how to stop them leaking......and once separated do I need a brand new reducer?

Thanks all !

2. do you mean you've a reducer set within a 15mm compression end... if so you need to fit the 10mm olive between the 2 brass parts

3. bogstandard

bogstandard New Member

4. H.2.O

H.2.O New Member

you have probably over tightened the nut and crushed the reducer set.
    you will need a new one and don't overtighten.

5. nope, no olive reqired in a one piece reducer set...

You need to tighten it a bit more, so the set spilts into two,a nd overlaps itself.

6. bogstandard

bogstandard New Member

Cheers guys

I cant seem to win with these....I tried not to over tighten and the 10mm just pulled out.

I tightened more until the reducer fractured into two parts as its supposed to......now it leaks.

Perhaps I have tightened too much.

Would a jointing compound help?

7. elemental

elemental New Member

Did you ever find the answer to this.

I'm surfing the chat room to find a solution to the very same problem.

The best answer is the reducing set, with two collets and a 10mm olive in between, but they're not so common.

SO... how DO you make the one-piece jobbies work???

8. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

Far better to use solder fittings and reducers, much more reliable especially with microbore.

9. Plumber's Mait

Plumber's Mait New Member

I agree with the cap'n regarding soldered reducers being more reliable, however i recently changed TRV's & lockshield's on 7 rads fed by micobore and used the 1-piece reducers on all; gave each one half a dozen wraps of PTFE before tightening, filled up, no leaks.

PM

10. Bigplumber

Bigplumber New Member

Ive never had a problem with these, pipe in tighten up and away I go.

Except once when I was trying to put 8mm pipe in, it was just one of those days.

Cheers

11. britishblue

britishblue New Member

I don't particularly like the one piece reducers. They need to be tightened until they split apart and then quite a bit more to compress into the pipe. It's quite difficult to gauge how much to tighten the fitting.

BB

12. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

especially on something small and soft like microbore - always solder microbore - no hassle-no leaks.

13. Dave888888

Dave888888 New Member

I have been having the same problem. It keeps leaking all the time. The more I tighten it the worse it gets.

The solution was PTFE tape wrapped around the 10m copper pipe tip and then put it into the reducer and tighten not too much, just enough to keep it from leaking.

This reducer has stressed me proper with the leaks, but now it has stopped leaking.

Best of luck.