20gang extension?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by MBroughton, Apr 13, 2015.

1. MBroughton

MBroughton New Member

Hi everyone.

I need advice on charging 20x digital camera batteries at the same time. Camera battery chargers are too big for extension leads so a 6g extension will only physically hold 3 battery chargers. I planned to create an 'extension' using 10x 2g sockets wired to an 13a RCD plugtop.

If the output of the chargers is 8.4V 0.9A each, 20x chargers should be within the limits of 13a fuse?

Any advise would be welcome.

Thanks

2. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Loading wont be a problem.

Have a look if Olson don't already do something suitable. We use them for mobile phone charging in delivery depots.

If you are fixing this to a wall, rather than playing with 10 double sockets, consider a length of dado trunking with double sockets in it. Far neater. Could even include a single 20amp switch at one end.

3. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

#Lectrician

Why do you think a a 20A switch at the end as a possibility & which end would you place it ??

4. Lectrician

Some people like to be able to kill the power to a row of sockets that are intended for chargers etc. Left or right, your preference :p

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  5. Welshdragon1

Cheers mate :)

I suppose it depends which side the CU is then ;) ;)

6. Lectrician

If it's dado, you can put it where you want. Could go in the middle :)

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  7. Welshdragon1

One would of though it would of had to go at the beginning to be an isolator ??

Can you elaborate a bit more please :)

8. Lectrician

Dado is just containment. Trunking that you can fit socket boxes into, you can then place cables in it, behind the boxes, indeed to feed the sockets, or other things.

For simple installs with limited or no segregation (data etc), and no need to look smart or posh, MT Maxi trunking 50x100 and TSS04 boxes are cheap. For high density installs, they even do pre cut 50mm sections of lid to go between sockets.

FatHands likes this.
  9. Welshdragon1

Sorry Lec I meant about wiring the 20A switch at either end or in the middle.

& why 20A as opposed to standard 13A ??

10. Lectrician

13amp FCU fine. 20amp fine too.

When I say either end or middle, I mean physical location, not how it's wired :)

Didn't mean to confuse.

11. Welshdragon1

Right I got you Cheers mate :)

Sorry been a bad start to a Monday, thus got the Monday blues ;) ;)

12. Lectrician

I've been off for ages with a virus, thought I would be back today. Tried and failed. Few more days :)

13. Welshdragon1

I had an unannounced visitor, with no advanced warning & knowing what time I had to leave, turns up 10 mins before time yo leave & then took his ruddy time to make a quick 5 min report, made me ruddy late :( I was not impressed :( :(

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

What did Lec say welshy? LoL

15. Welshdragon1

Sorry UN, I forgot you don't speak welsh :)

KIAB likes this.