25mm insulation exterior wall

Discussion in 'Eco Talk' started by mattp, Dec 17, 2016.

1. mattp

mattp New Member

Hi am currently fitting a toilet into an old porch cupboard(small but big enough)
    2 of the walls are exterior just single skin block with plastic cladding on the outside.
    Am thinking of fitting 25mm board insulation then plasterboard as it's really cold in there, what's the best option. Can I fix the insulation straight to the wall or what's best? Space is limited inside.
    Thanks.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What are the dimensions of the cupboard/ bog.
    Could dryline with with insulated plasterboard, but you with need to secure sheet with a couple of nailable plugs.

3. mattp

mattp New Member

Hi it's 700 mm wide, seems small I no but is plenty wide for me and wife when sat down on toilet (have down a trial sit) lol.
    I am at some point going to be redoing the cladding on outside, that at moment is fixed onto 25mm battens so I was thinking can I put the 25 mm insulation on the outside of the wall under the new cladding when I fit it?

4. The thinnest thermal laminated plasterboard is around the thickness you want (around 35mm total thickness), so no need to insulate first and then p'board over - chust do it all in one.

Also it can be dot and dabbed on, ideally with a few mechanical fixings too. Frankly, tho', in a bathroom I wouldn't bother with the mech fixings - I understand they are required so's the sheets don't fall off the wall in a fire (ie - the insulation layer melts) so if you reckon the chances of anyone being clobbered by falling sheets in the middle of an inferno in that bathroom is slight, then don't bother.

By the way, even that 'thinnest' of insulated boards will transform the warmth level in that loo. Well worth doing.

Orchardroofing likes this.
  5. 25mm on the outside won't be as effective as internal, and you'll also need to ensure it doesn't affect any possible ventilation requirements behind that cladding. I simply don't know if this is an issue, but you'd need to check.

If you reckon you can afford to lose 35mm from the inside dims, then that's what I would do.

No harm in adding external insulation too, as long as it's ok to do so.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

7. mattp

mattp New Member

Ok sounds good, I was looking at insulated plasterboard, so I could just dot and dab it even though it's an external wall, there is no sign of damp etc so I guess it's OK. There won't be any issue of it falling off and hitting anyone in a fire. Thank you.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ample width for a bog, same width as my outside bog,which is 6' long with enough space for a slim cloakroom basin which door open back against.

9. mattp

mattp New Member

Mine isn't quite aslong as yours but just enough room for a cloakroom basin too.
    The 'larger' people who visit will have to breath in or walk upstairs and use the other toilet lol.

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Had a 27 stone 6' gas fitter use mine ok last year, didn't get stuck.

11. mattp

mattp New Member

Oh well I don't no anyone that big lol.
    My neighbour has the same in his house and he is a very large man and says it's too small for him, although he kept the original block wall(non load supporting) where as I took mine out and put a stud wall in to give me that extra 100mm, seems alot of work for 100mm but was worth it.

KIAB likes this.
  12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

13. Er, yes, I had, er, included that... :oops:

CGN likes this.
  14. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Insulated plasterboard is expensive. When I have this type of problem it is best solved by screwing 50 x 25mm battens to the wall at 600mm centres, 4 screws per batten. Now insulate using polystyrene sheet cut to fit tightly between the battens, staple a pvc vapour barrier over the battens and polystyrene, now board with 1200 x 2400mm wallboard, plaster to finish. Job done, good wall and cheaply.

15. Bargain Bucket

Bargain Bucket Active Member

This is exactly what I did to 2 single skin rooms (1 upstairs, 1 downstairs) in our house. I used 25mm Celotex between the battens. The rooms have been transformed into surprising warm places to be. I put DPC between each batten and the wall.

16. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Cheap and by and large ineffective, polystyrene is half as good as Celotex or similar.

17. Yes, but your effective insulation is 25mm of timber. Peppered with steel screws...