27yo joiner but no qualifications

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by martin fitz, May 22, 2013.

1. martin fitz

martin fitz New Member

I'm a confident joiner with about 7 - 8 yrs experience but i need a cscs card to get on site but i need an nvq 2 to get the card, what is the best way to get this.I've found an (EWPA) experienced worker assessment but they said I need someone that I've worked with and that holds a cscs card with joinery / carpentry to sign the application form. Been out of the industry for the last 3 - 4 yrs so I'v not got many contacts in the business. If anyone is looking for a joiner let me know, I've done 1st fix, roofing (standing frame & slate, tile start 2 finish) and shuttering. willing to work voluntary if you can sign the form for cscs or allow me to obtain my nvq through (osat) on site assessment and training. Don't require training, just a matter of getting formally qualified.

2. surfermick

surfermick New Member

ive just finished year two of the diploma level 2, i didnt take the nvq part because i dont need the site card (i just wanted the knowledge). i was offered the nvq part and could do sign myself up because i am self employed, could you not set yourself up as self employed and sign yourself in? do you not need the diploma level 2 qualification to gain the site certificate?  maybe worth enrolling in the september course soon so as to be ready when you get this all sorted out.:)

3. martin fitz

martin fitz New Member

you need an nvq level 2 for the cscs card, the diploma is practical and theory in college but the nvq an assessor visits you on site and makes a portfolio of your work. Any can set up as a joiner, you don't need anything but can I sign up for the nvq and say I'm working for myself

4. surfermick

surfermick New Member

i believe so yes. i was offered the nvq site assessment at the start of my diploma course, i was told i could effectively apprentice myself forward (its all just paperwork) the college are very accommodating because they need bums on seats. i chose to just do the diploma side because i have no intention of doing big site work.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

You can of course, just go for the basic CSCS card, which doesn't have any skills whatsoever on it. At least that would get you on to site. At the end of the day, it's your skills and speed  which will keep you on site rather than the CSCS card. ;)

All the CSCS card is really for, is to say you've passed a H&S multiple choice test (which a bloody 10 yr old could pass)

FatHands likes this.
  6. martin fitz

martin fitz New Member

Well the cscs site says i need an nvq 1 or employer recomendation for the basic card, but iv been out of the industry so long i've no contacts in the industry. It's all a load of ****, the ewpa is the best i can think of and i still need a cscs carded joiner that iv worked with to sign the form

7. martin fitz

martin fitz New Member

Plus with the basic card, I'm just a labourer on a labourers rate doing 1st fixing and standing roofs;). The ewpa gives me the nvq2 n with that I can get the skilled worker blue card

8. martin fitz

martin fitz New Member

I would be happy 2 even work for free;) in return for signing the form 2 state that you worked with me.

9. jon1973

jon1973 New Member

i have passed the cscs test , and i phoned to get my card but can get only the basic one. i am a joiner of 25 years but they have told me my city and guilds are no good and have to appeal. they havent got a clue at that bloody call centre. anybody got any clues on on what i can do

10. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

a fool and his money , sorry jon, not getting at you but the whole shceme is a con,,:(

11. Bepp

Bepp New Member

Hi guys, I have been formwork carpenter for 15 years but no certificate, no cscs card.
    Anyone could advise me where can i get EWPA route? or other way?
    HELP!
    Please

12. Bertiebasset

Bertiebasset Member

Bepp

Have you tried reaching out to local training providers who can assist you with this? Perhaps also giving CITB a call.

Bertie

13. Bepp

Bepp New Member

Thank you Bertie for your advice. Unfortunately, I already tried with UK providers as CITB and city and guilds but they have asked to me references, witnesses, evidence i.e. photos, of my past work experiences in UK constructions. No one has ever photographed me while I was working, but what is worse, is that I have always worked abroad, mainly for Italian building companies, in Mozambique, Nigeria, Singapore, Malta, and Italy. I am working in the UK just since last March and I am working as a laborer. Another possible route to get the NVQ diploma is through the assessment on site but how can I be assessed if nobody wants/can to employ me as formwork carpenter if I don't get a diploma and the related cscs card before? Another thing is, I got cscs card trainee supervisor through my BTEC L.3 diploma, earned abroad, but I am still returned to the same problem, nobody employs me as formwork carpenter supervisor without the certificate/diploma.

guys, sorry if I have dwelt too much but I really need help....