3 amp on the extractor fan?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by ZeZs, May 14, 2015.

1. ZeZs

ZeZs New Member

If the instructions don't state a 3 amp fuse is required on an extractor fan should i be happy using the lighting fuse (6 amp at the C.U.), or go for the 3amp fcu? Thoughts and feelings please!

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

If the manuf. doesn't stipulate a 3 amp fuse just rely on the 6 amp mcb.

3. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Yes,if nothing stated, a 6amp is fine. If it is stipulated, to comply with BS7671, you must follow manufacturers install instructions.

For timed fans, this requires thinking outside the box.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Very strange that a manufacturer hasn't put a fuse rating. I mean, I've installed a fan on the 32A ring(I did put in a 3A fuse), but without the info, any diyer might put it on a 13A.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

They usually say use a 6 amp mcb, even those that don't state a 3 amp fuse handy.

6. ZeZs

ZeZs New Member

Thanks for the feedback.

7. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Strange thing is the fuse is there to protect the cable not the thing is attached to, according to the Holy Bible 7671.

8. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

In this application, though, it is there in case the fan catches fire. The fan draws so little current (and its a fixed load) so it can't overload the circuit fuse. It is unlikely to short out, but, it can jamb or the motor can jamb causing overheat and fire so its there for fire protection as far as I am aware.

9. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

.......and the fuse still won't blow!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Risteard likes this.
  10. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I don't suppose a 1 amp clock fuse would be much better. But looking at the TLC site these now come with a 2 amp fuse. I suppose fan motors are pretty dangerous things from a fire perspective.
    In our new kitchen our cooker hood cable goes inside the chimney( but outside of the convoluted flue pipe!) and plugs into a switched 13 amp socket which will be above the suspended ceiling when it is fitted access being through a removable panel. However in the event of fire I could isolate at the CU within a few seconds. I know that I should have a more accessible means of emergency isolation but I will have to see what my electrician says when he checks the complete installation.

11. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Well it should! If the motor jambs it will draw more current and overheat, hence the 3A. I agree it is not guaranteed but better to have something there than nothing at all. It is to prevent fire happening not after the fire has started! If fire has already started then its too late.

12. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

UP Sorry I cannot quite follow your argument.
    If the fan motor jams and causes a fire then it wont matter if the fuse blows or not because the house may burn down anyway.
    The fuse protects the electrical installation.
    The readily available isolator which I may not have ( see my post above) should enable the fan to be switched off as soon as you are aware it has jammed thus avoiding a fire.

13. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

The idea is that if the fan jambs it will draw excessive current which will blow the 3 amp fuse before the fire starts!

PaulBlackpool, unphased and FatHands like this.
  14. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

As stated fuses are to protect the cables so the only issue is manufacturers' instructions being complied with. It offers absolutely no safety benefit whatsoever, and will not blow if the fan jams.

If the fan needs fusing for protection then it should be fitted by the manufacturer, and certainly wouldn't be provided by a 3A BS 1362 fuse.

TM11 likes this.
  15. TM11

TM11 New Member

Can anyone explain, where this 3 amp or 5 amp fuse would be sited. One has to have an Fan Isolator outside the Bathroom. There is switched live and Permenant live wires, so how to connected these wires to fuse? Regards

16. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Basically you would have to loop your feed through an FCU, and take the fuse side to your luminaire, and from there run your cable with permanent and switched phase/line and neutral, and cpc, to your fan (perhaps through a fan isolator).

FatHands likes this.
  17. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

18. TM11

TM11 New Member

Any one uses inline fusesholders on live wires, and fit with correct amperage of fuse?

19. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Only if I can fit it into an enclosure. (eg the fan housing in your case perhaps?)

20. TM11

TM11 New Member

Thanks Seneca..Xpelair fan I'm trying to fit, manufacturer asking for 5Amp fuse...connecting to lightening circuit with 6Amp mcb..RCD protected. In line fuse in wiring seems easiest option.