30mm gap to fill for tiling (photo)

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by uncle sam, Mar 25, 2017.

1. uncle sam

uncle sam Member

I had to move the toilet waste pipe over and am now left with a 28mm thick gap (see photos, just over 2 plasterboards thick).

The whole area is gona be tiled with 200x100mm ceramic metro tiles so not much weight really.

I dont want to bond it as it will take over 4 weeks to dry. I had a shallow chase filled in on the same (solid external wall) wall 4 weeks ago and its still not dry.

What would u do to fill the area so its ready for tiling?

Cheers all.

Attached Files:

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easifill, build up in two or three layers.

3. wau5

wau5 Active Member

whatever mixture of adhesive you have on hand really (easifill/tile adhesive/cement/plaster).
    Its going to be under tile, so it doesn't really matters how you finish it off really.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Or cut out a piece of plasterboard to shape and stick to wall with No Nails or Stik All so its flush with wall and tile over it.

uncle sam, KIAB and CGN like this.
  5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Prob dab a bit of board on and level off with some cement based tile adhesive if time is a factor.

uncle sam likes this.
  6. uncle sam

uncle sam Member

With the thickness of the gap i would need to fill with 2 layers of plasterboard. Its it a ok to dot and dab plasterboard to brick and then dot dab another layer of plasterboard on top of the 1st layer of plasterboard?

7. uncle sam

uncle sam Member

What about 2 layers of plasterboard?

8. Phil the Paver

Yes it would be fine, just make sure you stick them on well.

9. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Don't need to complicate things :D Have you got tile adhesive? (since you are going to tile over? )
    Just smear it in/level it off and it will be dry tomorrow and ready to be tiled...

uncle sam likes this.
  10. Phil the Paver

At 25mm thick I doubt it, it will crack and proberly fall out. don't you think.?

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Can do, but just use thickish dabs of plasterboard adhesive and tap the board flush with the surrounding plaster.

uncle sam likes this.
  12. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Actually I would NOT do the plasterboard + No nails type of adhesive, you want to create a solid stable structure underneath.. That would be such a bodge job...
    Nothing can beat tile adhesive really... quick,easy, cheap and everyone has some tile adhesive somewhere...

Just make sure that you wet mist the area first (or take a brush) before you smear in anything or the loose dust may create problems.

13. Phil the Paver

I don't.
    But I've got lots of off cuts of plasterboard and tubes of adhesive. :D:D:D:D:D

14. Phil the Paver

Why would it be a bodge job, most houses are dot and dab.

15. wau5

wau5 Active Member

Most houses in UK are proper thin cardboard box * nowadays...
    Just because there are a lot of houses made by such bodge methods doesn't means that it's the best method really :D

Anyway OP could even take straw ,mix it with milk and put it in to tile over... the tiles would still be fine.
    However.. just do it properly.

Last edited by a moderator: Mar 26, 2017
  16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

If you have some plasterboard off cus then you can screw it to the wall with some timber packers behind.

Otherwise as Kiab says get a bag of Easyfill from B&Q. Easyfill is a bigger, better, cheaper (by size) version of Polyfilla. Put in on in several thinner coats, it drys much quicker that way.

17. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Two layers of plasterboard skimmed over with easifil........job done, easifil on its own would be far to thick and take an age to fully dry out.

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not in two or three layers.

19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

1 thin layer of easifil over the plasterboard will dry out far quicker than three thick layers.........job finished same day!;)

20. They are, but it doesn't make it right. Or good.