3way switch

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Dexterwolf, Apr 15, 2014.

1. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

I could do with some help. The pictures are of a 3 way switch I think that's what it is called connected to my hot water tank. The pipes near it look to have like a crusty build up near some of the joints. If I did need to stop any water would I just close the red tap valves pictured or would this not stop water flow through the valves. Sorry if sounding thick. image.jpg image.jpg

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The upper red tap is hot water from the tank, covering heating.

Last edited: Apr 15, 2014
  3. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

Thanks for that so if that switchat bottom leaked would I close both valves?

4. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

yes - and it's a valve not a switch - and it looks like you have another isolation tap (without it's red wheel) lower down near the pump

5. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

So as long as I close all the red taps it would stop any leaks if there were. I just fear if I had a problem what red taps to turn if there were any problems. Also you can't do any damage can you closing these valves. I probably sound silly but it scares me but really does intrigue me.

6. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Not wishing to be a scaremonger, but 'gate' valves such as those are prone to either seizing or the shaft snapping when you really need to use them, especially if they haven't been operated for a while, I'm sure others on here will have had the same problem in the past tbh.

7. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

The system seems to be working alright but I just wanted to know what taps to close should I get a leak from that gate valve. I know you can turn the stop tap off but there is a lot of water in the system before that. So was just curious as what to do if I had a leak on the pipes or hot water tank.

8. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

The gate valves are the ones with the red handles, isolation valves, the ones that you need to be able to turn off to isolate pipework in an emergency of for remedial works to the pump and three port valve-obviously if those have seized.....

9. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

Thanks Rulland so if I did get a leak from pipe work would closing the red gate valves be the best thing to start with. I just want to be sure so I know what to do. Surely closing the red taps would stop the water flowing round the pipes?. When you say isolation valves where are those if they are not the ones with the red handles.

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

The red valves are hot water for heating.

To isolate the incoming cold water to the cylinder there should be a valve that looks a bit like a door handle on a pipe about half up the cylinder that goes into the bottom of the cylinder coming from the loft.

To totally isolate the water supply there should be a main stopcock under the kitchen sink, sometimes they are elsewhere but most of the time under the sink.

11. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Looking at those photos It appears that the pump valve has leaked nothing to do with the 3 port valve. those gate valve that you have fitted are unusual but appear to have been installed to allow the replacement of the 3 port without draining down, which is not common practice but won't affect your system unless you start closing them. However to fix your minor problem you all you need to do is to get yourself a 22mm pump valve (get the gate valve type and not the ball valve type). Then you will need to partially drain your system remove the offending valve clean the threads on the pump if you can get on a new rubber washer rathe than the fibre ones supplied with the valves. Re assemble, refill add inhibitor job done about an hours work

12. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

When you say isolation I presume you mean this tap below ?.

So many taps and valves around the hot water tank. It just does not seem simple?
    image.jpg

13. Dave does Gas

No thats the isolation to your cold riser to the tanks in the loft. what you have on your heating system is two 22mm gate valves which is not the norm but is not an issue provided you don't turn them off. Someone at some time has decided to fit them so that the 3 port valve can be changed without draining down. These valves are not necessary as most professionals bung the system to replace the valve if needed. From your pictures it appears that a pump valve has weeped, causing the build up of crud on the pump. This alone is not an issue unless you can feel wet on the pump when its either hot or cold. Otherwise you have no issues that should cause you to loose sleep. Hope that helps.
    Dave

14. Dexterwolf

Dexterwolf Member

Thanks for that Dave I wish I could locate the isolation valve just in case problems better to be safe than sorry. There is just all the red taps and that one. If I did get a leak I would not want damage the system or make worse by closing the wrong taps.

15. Dave does Gas

There is no particular isolation tap for central heating if it leaks turn off the cold main riser or tie up the ballcock and drain the system. but worrying about the system leaking is a bit like worrying if your cars going to break down.