4.5 w Led Lights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Cardiff Archie, Dec 1, 2015.

1. Cardiff Archie

Cardiff Archie New Member

I have 12 of these installed in my kitchen ceiling in cool white,i wanted to purchase more for another room but when i went back to the retailer they said they don't do 4.5w any more,the nearest now being 6w,but the 6w are over £7 each,that led me to look on the net where i found much cheaper prices but was suprised to see the retailer also had 9w 12w & 15w,what kind of brightness would these bad boys give off and are they practible for household use ?

2. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Well, you'd be able to see what you're cooking better.

I like the ability to have things very bright if I want. So I use high wattage lamps with dimmers, so I can adjust to suit.

You'll get more lumens output per rated watt with 'cool white' lamps, the 'warm white' lamps have a lower lumen output per rated watt.

The Varilight Pro dimmer series works with nearly all dimmable LED lamps I've come across, and is programmable for minimum brightness amongst other things. The dimmer modules will fit behind most dimmer switch plates you come across in a domestic setting, so you don't have to have 'odd' switches. Like all dimmer plates though, you really need a 35mm deep back box at least.

FatHands and KIAB like this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Dec 1, 2015
  4. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

I have a single 24W LED lamp in my kitchen 5 foot long which gives 100 lumen per watt. However in other rooms I have BA22d, SES, ES, and GU10 lamps which vary from 2 to 11 watt and give out between 60 and 80 lumen per watt. To replace either straight or the larger folded fluorescent tube like with the 2D fitting with LED is a waste of money. But the smaller folded fluorescent compact with the SES and BA22d bases were to be frank useless so replacing them with LED works well. As to GU10 the cold cathode fluorescent was useless so LED is king when replacing tungsten lamps.

However it seems dimmable = low lumen per watt. So 11W dimmable = 10W non-dimmable in some cases even more. So if your not going to dim them don't by dimmable bulbs. 100 lumen per watt seems about the tops for LED in the main cheap GU10 lamps are around the 70 lumen per watt. For MR16 compatible best I have bought is 83 lumen per watt with a E14 base.

However my GU10 lamps are a problem as some give a single angle like 30º others don't have a sharp cut off and are rated at 25~35º so matching them is not easy. My son bought 6 lamps together and I pointed out 2 had 3 LED's inside and and 4 has 6 LED's so don't match each other.

Most of my GU10's are B&M Bargain specials at 2W each three for under £10. But I use a spot as a spot so reading lamps and the like I would not dream of trying to light a room with spot lights.

But the main thing is forget watts look at the lumen. GU10 lamps for caravans 10 ~ 30 volt DC actually give out the full 100 lumen per watt I am sure if you hunt you will find mains powered units the same. So a 3W and 5W lamp can have the same output. Read the packet, if it does not give lumen output regard as being poor quality.