4 rsjs for a small wall removal?

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by kazy, Feb 24, 2016.

1. kazy

kazy New Member

Hi everyone, we want to remove an internal wall on the ground floor of our house. The wall is about 1 meter wide; and when we opened up the floor, we saw that the solid part of this wall is about three bricks wide. It sits on a floating floor. We are in a terraced house. The engineer said we have to install 4 RSJs in the form of a frame for removing this! This will turn out to be a very expensive job; as the one frame goes down under the floorboards, one on the ceiling and two on each side. for the one on the floor, a concrete foundation need to be put. I wanted to ask if you have ever seen such a thing, is it an overkill, and what would be estimated cost for a job like this in London. the engineers costs is already more than 1000 at this stage for all the visits he did...

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Do you have any structural drawings for this?

3. Rob_bv

Rob_bv Active Member

Pictures? Drawings? It's all a bit too vague to give an opinion.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Don't you have other walls that a RSJ can span and support above?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

5. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I wouldn't have thought so if the engineer specs legs and a base plate.

6. kiaora

kiaora Guest

Hi
    I know this as "goal post "

Its when the footing of the brick piers used to support steel are not good enough.
    So often, walls are knocked through and steel beams put on the piers either side with no though for the loading in the pier footings.

I've been on jobs where the opening is only 2.00m and bco have asked for goal posts,

Regards
    Peter