8 degree pitched roof - Help!!!

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Wolfboy, Dec 31, 2007.

1. Wolfboy

Wolfboy New Member

Hello,

Just wondered if anyone can help me?

Are there any products on the market that would make an 8 degree pitched slate roof acceptable for building regs. Currently roofing an extension with an 8 degree pitch - building regs officer wants to see product spec for the tiles we decide to use & they must be suitable for an 8 degree pitch roof.

The reason the pitch is sooooo low is due to a window restriction.

Any ideas and suggestions would be greatfully recieved!

Many thanks - WolfBoy

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

3. Tony Soprano

Tony Soprano New Member

I know they make tiles lafarge redlands for 12.5 degrees but what you asking for is definetly a flat roof virtually.You need to redesign the roof to increase the angle and use lead around the windowsso you can go up higher

4. building control

building control New Member

board felt and counterbattern,

job done.

5. trench

trench New Member

job done.

..or 2 layers of tyvek, laid laterally with a half roll lap (no boarding needed then.

6. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

job done.

..or 2 layers of tyvek, laid laterally with a half
    roll lap (no boarding needed then.

Not sure BC would accept that! After all, it is not proper protection against water ingress, merely a barrier, and not meant to replace the actions/properties of tiling.

Mineral felt on boarding however would almost negate the need for tiles at all.

Mr. Handyandy - really

7. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

yeah mineral felt will also look *****.

8. chip off the block

chip off the block New Member

9. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle New Member

Hi,

I had the same problem with my extension.
    My pitch was down at 11 degrees, not as low as yours.

I used a product called ondutile.
    Its a bitumastic courrogated material that forms the main wetherproofing layer, then you batten on top of that and slate as per usual.
    http://www.ondulinebuildingproducts.net

10. Wolfboy

Wolfboy New Member

Hello - just got back from a holiday so will look into all your suggestions this week.

Thanks once again for all the information and I will let you know what we decide and what BC lets us do!

Thanks - Wolfboy

11. Wolfboy

Wolfboy New Member

Hi Sam,

Thanks for this information! Which slate tiles did you end up using?

Wolfboy

12. Sam Dingle

Sam Dingle New Member

13. Wolfboy

Wolfboy New Member

Hello,

Yes I think it will help - we are currently working on the rest of the house and researching the roof when we can - it is currently felted.

We are now also looking into the possibility of putting on a glass roof - obviously we will have to chat with BRegs about this but we are trying to do research to tell then what we have found out.

So do you or anyone out there know if there is a minimum pitch requirement for having a glass roof?

14. gardm1nt

gardm1nt New Member

Glass is going to cost. Id be thinking along the lines of fibreglass or perhaps if buget allows lead or copper.