8th breakdown in 3 years

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Vikki, Apr 22, 2015.

1. Vikki

Vikki New Member

We rent a property and since we moved in have had nothing but issues with our boiler, first issue was it was not holding it kept having to fire up. We had engineers in and all of the big bosses at this firm come in and were none the wiser as they have had to shut the small radiator off downstairs so the rest heat up and it's never burning the fumes properly we have had a few of the big silver things that go in the middle, about 4 flus as that's always full of soot and ash. It's been disconnected every year when gas safety check is done and now just tiered of it if honest, they fix the issue that's present then so it's working for a bit but I feel there is an issue bigger somewhere for the one radiator to be stilled turned off so it's bypassing somewhere? Our landlord don't really seem interested so need some advice if possible please.
    Many thanks

2. Out of interest, does the boiler have a gas safety certificate? Because if not then your landlord is in breach of gas regulations in rented properties.
    If I were you I'd suggest to your landlord that he take out a British gas boiler maintenance contract and then all the boiler checks and breakdowns will be covered.

Good luck
    Mike

3. Vikki

Vikki New Member

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I not really a case of the not being very helpful, they have a duty to make sure it's safe and working properly in law, if they don't play ball, get a gas safe registered engineer to look at it and hopefully condemn it, then insist on a new boiler being fitted.

5. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

It would appear from the OP's post that the Landlord does have the annual gas safety check done and thats when its disconnected as being dangerous. What I find curious is the fact that this boiler clearly has a combustion problem which it totally irrelevant to the radiator being shut off, that is a system issue and nothing to do with this appliance's in ability to have complete combustion.
    There can be several reasons for this, Undersized gas supply, faulty gas valve, poor mix of gas and air if is a zero pressure valve, blocked injector, poor flue termination, plus a host of other reasons.
    You should insist that once the boiler has been re commissioned that it is checked again at leaset a month later to see if there are any re occurrences of the fault. The least the need to do it take flue gas readings and gas rates to check for correct operation.
    If the landlord shows a lack of interest then maybe a visit to citizens advice for well advice about who to turn to to ensure he complies with his responsibility, either local council of HSE, maybe even Gas Safe.
    You should also demand given the problems with it that a corbon monoxide alarm be installed near the boiler if its not already.

Good luck with it I hope you get it sorted.

FatHands likes this.
  6. Ian Dagger

Ian Dagger New Member

As suggested the main concern is that it has had 4 burners, and numerous flues, and is disconnected every year. This is very concerning. I personally wouldn't like to reconnect an appliance thats been disconnected every year without really checking it over thoroughly.
    I would either get the manufacturers to call and get them to take a look if no one else can fix it. Or take out a British Gas cover as if they cannot fix it and it is under 7 years old they will replace it. (Terms and conditions may apply do check the small print.)

Ian Dagger
    www.dagger-and-sons.co.uk

7. I'd ring Gas safe and tell them your concerns. I'm sure they would inspect an appliance with these issues.

This is a really worrying situation. Never heard of a boiler getting four flues in its lifetime. Post some photos of it.