A spaceship has landed. .lead on my replacement conservatory roof

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Completenovicediyer, Jan 5, 2015.

1. Completenovicediyer

Completenovicediyer New Member

Hello all out there. I am hoping for some advice please. I have just had my conservatory roof replaced with lightweight tiles.

It was all going well until it came to joining the 'ridges' at the top. My conservatory has six 'fingers'. Apparently a cap is not made for this design and so the builders have used lead to join them together. Not a small piece either. I think it looks terrible, but apparently this is my only option.

Any advice on this matter would be greatly appreciated.

Attached Files:

2. I agree - it don't look good :(

Solution? Contact the manufacturers of the tiles and see what they say. Is there really no '6-ridge' cap available?

But, there are ways around this. There has to be. It chust comes down to the fitters being prepared to bother their *****.

For instance, that lead can be trimmed back - if necessary - until it is a smaller radius than the 'proper' cap, so that it can be decoratively-covered and hidden underneath a modified 'cut-and-shut' cap.

Ie; the lead will do akshull sealing so will stay there, and the cap (it'll need more than one cap to provide the parts for all the 'fingers') will need trimming/modifying/cutting/butt-jointing/mitring/etc so's it fits on there, covers the lead, and gives the finish the roof requires.

This modified cap won't need to be watertight - it'll chust be decorative. And can be stuck down over the lead with any one of many cartridge adhesives likes StixAll.

The coves that did this roof - surely they knew before they began that they didn't have the correct 'cap'? When you ordered this job from them, were you going from a brochure picture or summat? If so, did that example have a proper cap?

Ie - you are entitled to have what you expected/were led to believe you should have.

(As a DIYer, I'm fairly confident I could thrash out a solution for this as explained above. So they've got no excuse.)

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

dear oh dear me, :(,

Completenovicediyer likes this.
  4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

On close up that doesn't look like lead. Looks like 2" self adhesive flashing tape that can be purchased, infact it looks like someone has gone over it with gaffa tape. If lead is used it should be code 4 lead and it should be oiled using patinaton oil, both sides, otherwise there will be staining running down the tiles.

Last edited: Jan 5, 2015
  5. Completenovicediyer

Thank you all, especially Devil's advocate for your comprehensive response. It's good to know that my expectations are not unreasonable here.

Despite the conservatory being measured on three separate occasions, it was not until part way through fitting that I was advised of this problem...the pictures I was shown of previous work definitely didn't look like this.

I contacted a tile manufacturer earlier today, the tiles they produce appear to be the same as the ones used. They immediately knew what I was talking about and said that they do not manufacture a cap for six ridges, but the solution used in this scenario is to 'fold' the ridges together at the top.

So armed with this information and your thoughts, I will be speaking to the builder to get a more attractive solution!

6. Can you get a note of the styles of top cap that are available?

This is plastic we are talking aboot - dead easy to cut, mitre, butt, whatever. If these coves cannot fit together the necessary 6 ridges from other caps in order to cobble together a decent looking decorative cover, then tut tut (or words to that effect... :rolleyes: )

7. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

If you look at the photo, you'll realise that the OP does indeed need a cap to cover seven ridges. (just thought I'd point that out) ;);););)

8. Biffo

Biffo Member

proper mess !! did they put new ali roof on , 100 mm insulation,membrane, board then tiles ... plus 65mm insulated board inside and skimmed ?? if not youve wasted your money

9. Ray Retired

Ray Retired Active Member

Six fingers & One ridge Shirley t'goodness!?!

10. Completenovicediyer

Biffo - there was a few different layers that went on, but shamefully I couldn't tell you what they all were. My husband and I are no good at this sort of thing and far too trusting as it turns out. I will ask them tomorrow.

It has been plastered on the inside, although this required a lot of sanding down by the decorator. On the plus side, the conservatory is much warmer, despite the fact that there is still a cavaty between some new plaster board and the house wall (I had this wall plasteted while they were at it), which a draft is coming through.

For good measure, the electrics are also a mess and we had gaping holes in the walls over xmas!

I'm hoping that all these problems will be rectified over the next few days, or I shall not be parting with any money.

Thanks for the additional thoughts Devil's advocate, I will put these to the builder!

11. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Dunno Ray, they are all ridge tiles, so I'd say there's seven ridges there. ;););) (or to get all technical, there's six hips and one ridge) :p:p:p:p

12. It does all sound as tho' this particular company, or the people they happened to send to do your connie, were not exactly 'skilled' or fully experienced. The chances are that the job they've done is 'ok' and the roof is insulated as it should be and will be ok.

However, it's just that they don't seem to have that finesse, that attention to detail, the desire to do a 'cracking job' - the sort of thing that comes with experience or chust being a conscientious worker.

The plaster skim needed a fair bit of sanding? What a surprise... Likely it was done by a 'jack of all trades' rather than an experienced plasterer brought in for the job. It'll be (should be...) ok when done, but a good skim should need the minimal or preparation before painting, even tho' they will all need some. Do check the finish carefully after it's been painted - any bumps, grooves, hollows, ripples, holes...?

The 'electrics are a mess'; by that do you just mean that the wires came through untidy holes but are now ok since switch boxes/light fittings are in place? If so, that's sort of ok - electrics can look untidy at that stage. Or is there something more sinister there?

So, all that stuff - plaster skim & 'lectrics - will very likely be ok when finished, so don't worry - so long as they are.

That ridge needs sorting, tho'. A concern would be that these are not particularly skilled tradesfolk, so I wonder how well they will manage to mitre a couple of 'caps' to make up this bespoke fellow...?

And what would be of proper concern to me is that draught you mention between the p'board and the house wall - can you explain further, and post a photo of where the draught is coming from?

13. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Make sure that you get certifcation for all the electrical works done!

14. Completenovicediyer

Hi Devil's advocate. Your advice is much appreciated.

So, an update on the roof. The builder has spoken to the tile manufacturer and has agreed to re-do the cap with the help of their advice - will post a picture when thia is complete.

With regards to the plastering - with much elbow grease and filler, this has painted up okay.

The draughty gap has been filled with foam today - this was the gap between what would have been the exterior wall of the house and the new plasterboard and the lead flashing has been finished off on top - so I'm guessing that this was the source of the draught. Picture of wall attached.

I attach an example pic of how the electrician left the plug sockets...even the builder was shocked at this and is going to re-do. Once the tiles are down, the sockets would be very close to the floor.

Another problem also cropped up today. The floor has had the old tiles taken up, self leveler put down, then underfloor heating, then a thin layer over the heating wires. The insulation boards in the pictures have been put down as a temporary measure to protect the floor. So I was planning to have tiles put down, but changed my mind to engieered wood flooring once I decided to keep the doors off and connect with the lounge.

The problem is that the floor is now not very level and the wood floor would not sit well. Apparently, the tile adhesive would have compensated sufficiently for these imperfections. The builder has suggested that perhaps the temporary insulation boards could be 'screed' in to provide a level surface, but then these would be on top of the underfloor heating!

The builder does seem keen to get things right, but as you say, himself or his team have thus far struggled with skill level!

Attached Files:

15. Completenovicediyer

Thanks Nigel. I have been assured that I will get a certificate, but I think I will hold back some money until this is in my hand!

16. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Surely the gaps above the sockets are due to whom ever installed the plasterboard, not the electrician!

17. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

What the blanking plate for??

As above, re: the gaps above the sockets, that's down to the plasterboard having to bigger holes cut out.

Last edited: Jan 6, 2015
  18. Completenovicediyer

hmm, communication has fallen down somewhere as sockets were meant to be raised up. should just be a temporary glitch. Not sure why blanking plate was required!

19. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

What is the FCU for? (that's the single fuse switch in the middle) then they have put a double blanking plate (also this is not in alignment; same height with the other accessories)?

The second fix for electrical shouldn't have been carried out until the holes were filled.

The height of the sockets could have been higher, just make sure they don't use nails to fix the skirting board..

20. Completenovicediyer

That switch controls the two light switches on the wall plus the underfloor heating thermostat..

Good thinking with respect to nails on skirting!