Acrylic bath repair

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by paj, May 25, 2016.

1. paj

paj Member

Decorating the bath room and I just managed to drop my Stanley knife on the bath. It has taken a small chip (about 5mm x 4mm x 2mm deep) out of the top.:(
    Just wondered if anyone had tried the repair kits you can get, if so any hints or tips? The chip is at the top - at the transition from flat to curve so well above the water line.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A old tiler taught me to have a piece of 9mm or 12mm ply with carpet on one side, (had cut outs for taps) which was size of bath & it would be laid carpet side down on the bath to protect it.

As to repairs kits,never used them so can't comment.:(

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Did buy a kit (not same brand) it was very hard to sand and the white supplied color stood out.

5. paj

paj Member

That is the sort of kit I was looking at - that Cramer one is available at Tool Station and Amazon so I may give it a go - nothing to loose really. Alternatively a few places advertise this sort of service so I am going to check out the cost although when you factor in them coming to your house I have a feeling it will be expensive.
    Thanks for the replies.
    Peter.

6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I wonder if their is a clear repair kit, I know the Cramer repair kit, are available in a number of different white shades.

7. James Parker

James Parker New Member

i wouldn't even try using a repair kit myself, i'm a complete fool when it comes to most things DIY, something similar happened to me about 3 years ago! dropped a hammer in the bath when I was attempting to put up some shelving. Got in touch with these guys though and they sorted it out the day after http://www.hometech-uk-ltd.co.uk/our-services/bath-repairs

Cheap and cheerful too! 3 years later you still wouldn't know the damage was there.

8. candoabitofmoststuff

candoabitofmoststuff Screwfix Select

I had a repair done on an acrylic bath just over a year ago. It was a crack, about 1/2" long, rather than a chip. I don't know what caused it... just found it when we went in. I had a pro come in to fix it. Took about an hour with all the prep... cost £120 inc VAT. Worth it to me for the lack of worry. Colour matched very well... it was just that the repair was slightly "shinier" than the rest of the bath.

Regards,

Cando

James Parker likes this.
  9. MissDIY96

MissDIY96 New Member

I recently repaired a chip in my bath using a repair kit. The finish was really good! You can't even tell that the chip was there! I found it on a website called bathtubrepair.co.uk it took me 3 hours to repair the chip and then i could use my bath again which was really important as having children means a lot of showering!

10. The Teach

The Teach Screwfix Select

If its not leaking it could be filled with 2 part car body filler. if your bath is white then the same filler is available in white its same as wood 2 part epoxy resin filler,excellent stuff but work it quick.

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If its under water line it will want painting every year. Use the filler supplied in kit. I originally bought kit but I use car spray paint now to touch up. Cut hole in paper and hold 100mm away and spray through paper hole after filling. I dropped tile.. dam! Cut board to cover bath next time. Live and learn

Alison19651 likes this.
  12. SMaster

SMaster New Member

www.surfacemaster.co.uk they can repair all types of damage and you would not know it was ever there. Good prices and fast service

13. retiredsparks

retiredsparks Super Member

Even on you tube you still see so called tilers and plumbers standing in the bath with boots and tool belts on doing jobs.
    I always use an old thick blanket.....and taped cardboard where needed down the sides.
    Rs