Add a external socket to existing external lighiting circuit

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Anand, May 3, 2016.

1. Anand

Anand New Member

Hi,

I have an existing external flood light that is wired from a fused spur through a switch to the light. I want to add an external mains socket to this, Can I extend this existing circuit through a spur to do this and does it also need to be fused again ?

Thanks

2. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

Is your Fused Connection Unit on a circuit protected by an RCD?

3. Anand

Anand New Member

Yes, it's RCD protected at the consumer unit.

4. If coming from the Load side of the existing spur then no extra spur is required, however not good wiring practices, but you can't spur of a spur, so come off the ring circuit through a separate spur if required to your socket 2.5 min cable and carry out loop test and rcd testing once energised

5. tina lucinda lane

tina lucinda lane Screwfix Select

am i the only one not happy with the idea of a socket off a lighting circuit (as how many people would label the outlet as limited to 5amp max (due to being on a lighting circuit) and how well will any label last) or am i bothered over nothing?

Mosaix likes this.
  6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

As long as the breaker is appropriately sized for the cable there's no problem is there!

nffc likes this.
  7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur Sen. On my 5 amp so circuit (just pretend its an ordinary lighting circuit) I whipped in a single gang 13 amp so next to a 5 amp so in a da box. Very handy for floor lights with transformers etc.

8. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Yes I've just done a kitchen job where the client had bought some led tape lights which came with a plug-in driver so I had to fit a couple of I gang 13a sockets fed from the lighting circuit.

9. tina lucinda lane

but surely its good pratice to clearly label these sockets as limited (to 5amp)? So some new person who doesnt know its not capable of 13amp doesnt plug in a 13amp appliance and wonder why it keeps tripping out the lights?

nffc likes this.
  10. tina lucinda lane

or do you sparks like getting extra work for nothing (ie having to come out and tell some one that that socket is not capable of 13amp and charge them just for that or worse a fire caused by a breaker failing to trip and the cable burning due to being under rated for the socket on the end because some one couldnt be arssed to label the socket)

11. tina lucinda lane

not saying any 1 here would but know alot who charge just to reset a trip (and thats on top of call out)

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I suppose some might Alex but I don't work that way, in fact I do lot's of little freebies like that in my area which although is fairly built-up these days it is really still just a village and virtually all of my work is through recommendation.

13. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

Quite normal to see sockets in pubs and b&b's with table lamps plugged in to them all off 1.5 and a 6/10 amp breaker. If the cleaner plugs a 600 watt hoover in it will be fine :oops:

14. nffc

nffc Active Member

A 5A socket should really be installed in this situation.

Mosaix likes this.
  15. tina lucinda lane

yea thats what i was thinking or label them. Mums new place was a sheep farm for years (and most of the outbuilding sockets are 13amp outlets run of the lighting circuit as they where ment to run electric sheep shears however none are labeled)