Adding 13A fused spur by JB 30A to ring main

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jiten, Aug 18, 2017.

1. Jiten

Jiten Member

Hi guys

Just wanted to run something past you, something I was unsure about.
    I want to add 2 additional sockets to a kitchen, this will only be used for a microwave and a kettle.

My first option is to extend the ring main using Jb

My second option is to use a fused spur for the 2 additional sockets.

The first option will involve lifting laminated floors and then floor boards and possible drilling through joist.

The second option also involves the same scenario,but slightly less work.

I was thinking about a third option, which would be to spur off a 2.5 twin earth closer to the kitchen with a JB 30amp. Once I have added the junction box I was thinking to add the fused spur to power the 2 sockets.

I just want to ask what your thoughts are on the 3rd option, is it worth thinking about or should I just start lifting laminate floors?

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Maintenance free JB - so 13 amp fused fcu supplying kettle and microwave via sockets. The kettle is what 2kW and the microwave is I dont know, maybe ruptured fuse possible in some scenarios? However anything to avoid ripping out stuff which is no joke. Best to see what the electrical technicians advise, but I have stuck my tuppence worth in even though its possibly rubbish.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

re third option 2.5 mm t / e cable. is this cable a cable on the ring final ? ( not a spur ). if it is you can just extend the ring from it with 2 MF .jb's.

4. Jiten

Jiten Member

This wire is apart of the ring, in fact it's the start of the ring as the 2.5 wiring is about 2 meters away from the consumer unit.

My first initial thought was exactly what you started, what if the wiring was a spur and not part of the ring. There is another wire that has been isolated and is directly above the kitchen, my initial thought was to extend that wire with a jb and add the fused sour to power the sockets.

5. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

cable above kitchen is isolated ,isolated from what and how ?

6. Jiten

Jiten Member

The cable was for an upstairs socket, the socket was not needed so the wires were put into terminal blocks. The wire of course is still live but isolated.

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

so it's a spur that has not been used .in which case you can take it to a double socket or a fcu. is it spur from the same circuit as the rest of your kitchen sockets ? if it is not it is a potential danger and should not be done this way.

8. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Can't you just run radial from db with it being so close

9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Thats a good idea - if possible then it gives more latitude

10. Jiten

Jiten Member

No this will not a spur from the kitchen circuit, this is a separate circuit for upstairs ring. But my initial thinking was if I had the FCU, and the sockets don't excced 13A this would be ok. I understand the kitchen uses the most power in a household and caution should be taken, hence a separate circuit for the kitchen.

11. Jiten

Jiten Member

That was my initial thought, but the FCU seemed more practical for this particular secnario as there are no spare breakers on the board.

12. Jiten

Jiten Member

My other thought was to spur off the cooker circuit with a 4 or 6mm T&E to an FCU and cut down the cable size to 2.5 T&E TO POWER THE 2 sockets, this was the sockets will be on the same circuit....

13. Jiten

Jiten Member

Sorry guys, I think I will leav this option completely out, can get too complicated and it is a cooker circuit, so should solely be used for that reason only. I'm trying to find the best way to proceed with these sockets. I would have preferred my second option of adding an FCU from the ring main...

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmm a cooker circuit is a cooker circuit - granted you have combined 45 amp dp cooker switch plus socket outlet which is normal, but anything else jacked onto the cooker circuit just does not seem cricket tbqh. Reg breach? haven't got a clue

15. Jiten

Jiten Member

Not quiet a breach, but it is recommendated a cooker stay on an independent circuit. but all aside I think it would be better to disregard the cooker scenario

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Jit at the end of the day m8 its best to see what the sparks say at this juncture - anything to save ripping up stuff, which as I said before is no joke.

Lets take a dedicated immersion heater circuit for example (you can parallel it with a cooker circuit) how many times have you seen a programmer and stuff jacked onto it? Answer loads of times? Would you care about it? Nope why would you as the fcu would have a 3 amp fuse in it. Its all handy stuff..reg breach?..maybe, or maybe not, who gives a monkeys tbqh.

Last edited: Aug 19, 2017
    seneca and Jiten like this.
  17. Jiten

Jiten Member

Your right JP, all in all I think alot of people who know electrics would not see it as good practice. Although there is nothing stating in the regs it can't be done, but these circuits are independent for a cooker. I thought maybe adding a 6mm cable to the supply of the spur then adding 2.5mm to the load to feed the sockets would give sufficient protection against mechanical damage.

18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Agreed JP. I have a similar situation on a job i'll be doing shortly. The chap wants 3 outside lights in his garden, it will mean a run of swa cable and there is a convenient 13amp ring socket to spur from at the back of his lounge. Trouble is that this socket already has a spur coming from it! I'm not unduly bothered about this though because my fused spur will only be fused at 3 amps. He is a regular customer of mine and I have explained the situation to him, explaining that someone else might come along one day and throw their hands up in horror telling him how bloody dangerous it is! :D