Advice for building brick garden office

Discussion in 'Landscaping and Outdoors' started by Imran Aghayev, Apr 26, 2024.

1. Imran Aghayev

Imran Aghayev Member

Greetings to everyone,

I am planning to build a garden office from bricks or thermalite blocks at the end of my back garden, pls see attached photos. Can't decide which corner is better, far right corner is sunny and far left corner (where the shed is) has lack of sunlight because of large oak tree and another tree on the side.

I would prefer to keep sunny side for the garden and build at the same place where the shed is, under the trees, however i m not sure about side effects of the fact that trees cover the area, maybe moist will damage the bricks ?. Also, after raining the area where the shed is has more water in soil because it dries out slowly.

Would appreciate any advice from who knows or understands more about it.

Thx,
    I.A.

Attached Files:

2. xednim

xednim Screwfix Select

by the tree your foundation should be 2m+ to make it sturdy :) if you have project wit building control they are really strict abt it- e.g. your project being closer than 20m from large tree... I know that if you will build under 30m2 you don't need inspection but still you have to be prepared for results after years of use (cracked walls)

3. Imran Aghayev

Imran Aghayev Member

really appreciate for your reply! have a good weekend

4. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Have a look at my thread. https://community.screwfix.com/threads/garden-room.256842/

Using SIPs over a robust timber subframe, with all the panels well fixed together with the splines makes an incredibly strong structure. (I reckon you could jack up one end of my building and it wouldn't break it's back- think static caravan). Using easypads does have the prospect that if the ground did shift because of the tree, you could adjust the height - don't think I would plan for that, but it remains an option.

Easypads are a good solution but they do need to be on solid ground - we have dense clay at 400mm so wacked MOT over that in the pits is very solid. Pads + insulated timber construction means very low levels of waste, no diggers, and SIPs are a very fast construction.

Keep it under 30sqm (or 15sqm if <1m from boundary) and you can avoid building control. Keep it over 2m from boundary and you can go over 2.5m for planning otherwise height is restricted for permitted development. Mine had planning which cost ~£300.

Imran Aghayev likes this.