Advice for laying large format porcelain tiles on new concrete floor with underfloor heating

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by aboynamedsue, Feb 4, 2015.

1. aboynamedsue

aboynamedsue New Member

Could use some advice on preping my new (screeded 4 months ago) concrete floor to take 60x60cm porcelain tiles. The floor has water underfloor heating which will soon be switched on for the first time and we will be following the correct procedure by introducing heat gradually. I have read such conflicting advice so I thought I would bounce this around with the pros on this forum. I have bought Bal SBR to apply to the concrete prior to tiling and also flexible adhesive, but I have had some advice from a builder friend to lay decoupling membrane as a precaution. The area I am tiling is 100²mtrs split into 5 ground floor rooms and each room has its own underfloor heating zone. I plan on putting in expansion strips across each doorway to take into account the possible temperature difference in different zones. Do I really need the membrane/matting stuff? or will SBR be sufficient?

The only true wisdom is in knowing you know nothing.” Socrates

2. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

What is this 'extra precaution' that your friend is on about? If the jobs done right then no precaution is necessary. What you have suggested so far is spot on, SBR(diluted accordingly), flexi adhesive, expansion gaps at the thresholds.

3. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Although not totally necessary, but with a newish screed with UFH, I would be inclined to use a membrane. Ditra or Dural Ci, both you should be able to sniff around online and get a half decent price.

OK, it's a expense you could do without........but so would having tiles debond/crack because of the screed expanding/contracting.

4. aboynamedsue

aboynamedsue New Member

Hi StevieSteve, I hear what you say and would prefer to go with this method, but you can see where is am coming from with different people with varying degrees of tiling knowledge offering advice. A prime example is the reply I have had to this post from Ghost-1. Due to various things causing delays, I won't be tiling until about June which gives the screed even more time to cure. I really appreciate you taking the time to tell me what I wanted to hear, Cheers

5. aboynamedsue

aboynamedsue New Member

Hi Ghost-1, I have taken on board your advice but I think I will do all I can technically to do a good job without the membrane. I hope I won't be messaging you next winter saying 'you were right'. Thanks a bunch.

6. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

I'm sure it'll be fine.

;)

7. StevieSteve

StevieSteve Member

No problem. And don't forget to back butter the tiles also.