Advice needed hanging shelves on thick plaster wall

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by BeeBeard, Jan 17, 2014.

1. BeeBeard

BeeBeard New Member

I need to hang a set of shelves on an internal wall which backs on to the next door flat. The wall is made of thick plaster, approx 30-40mm deep backed by another 10-15mm of chipboard, and behind that there is a cavity. The shelving is the type where you hang vertical brackets and then slot the shelves in (ALGOT system from Ikea) so they have to be placed at set distances from one vertical to the next, so finding the wooden uprights in the wall is not an option.
    I have been recommended spring loaded bolts but am also aware that this is going to be a hassle, currently don't have a big enough drill bit to handle the holes required for the bolts on top of which I am not convinced the bolts are going to be long enough to enable the spring loaded part to pop open, plus the fiddle of having to pull the bolt back to get some purchase on the back of the wall - all sounds a right pain in the proverbial.
    My question is can anyone suggest an alternative type of wall fixing given the wall type? I'm not sure of the final load weight but let's assume its heavy.

2. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

3. BeeBeard

BeeBeard New Member

Thanks wiggy.
    I was under the impression these wouldn't hold a heavy load though?
    They don't seem to go that deep into the plaster.
    Been to homebase and my local DIY place and there's a lot of chin scratching. they didn't seem to think this type would be strong enough although they looked like the best bet to me

4. wiggy

wiggy Screwfix Select

If you think about how many you will have on each upright, probably 4 maybe 5/6

I put up a very large mirror with them years ago, 1600x1200 made from 200 x 50 mm timber, big heavy lump, on 2 fixings, I drilled a hole in the pb slightly smaller than the plug and then screwed the plug in and then squirted some pu glue in the plug, let it dry and expand and its going nowhere.

There are dozens of different ways you can do this sort of thing, screw batten to the wall, screw ply to the wall, cut out the pb and noggin out and re pb.

How far apart is each upright, which will depend on your shelf width, studs normally go in at 600, make your shelf 600/1200.

In an ideal world you would try and hit your stud or noggin out.

Those spring clips work, but for what you want to do, you won't get them through your brackets.

you could even get a couple of lengths of say 20mm x 50 mm timber the length of your uprights and pu glue and plug and screw them to the wall and then fix your uprights to that.

whatever goes on the shelfs is going to be a spread load over all the uprights.

obviously expected load is key, but with what i have suggested , i would sit on the shelf

5. juleAlain

juleAlain New Member