Advice Needed: Making good corner coving

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by eddie86, Jun 24, 2017.

1. eddie86

eddie86 New Member

Anyone got any tips to hide this shocker? It was moulded round a burglar alarm which has now been removed as it was 20 years old and broken. Would love to make good and hide it discreetly. Any suggestions greatly appreciated

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Difficult to see the cove size from the photograph, possibly Gyproc 127mm (5") or could be 100mm (4"), easy to repair by cutting out a section and inserting new cove into each corner stick it into place using Artex or Easifil.

3. eddie86

eddie86 New Member

Cheers Astramax. Where can I pick that up from? Do you just but the two ends together or is any fancy scribing etc needed?

4. eddie86

eddie86 New Member

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I doubt if the polyurethane will match your cove profile but I may be wrong, can you confirm that the cove you have is plaster with a paper covering. No harm @£9.99 in seeing if it matches.

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Think you should be able to make a good repair with it using filler and a lot of patience :D

Temporarily stick some thin battens (same thickness) along bottom edge of cove. Use expanding foam to fill most void, allow to set then cut back below surface. Doing one corner at a time use filler and a straight edge to run the filler to creates same profile as cove, working into corner when this is done and happy. Do the remaining corner then paint.

Sourcing the same coving could be difficult and will stick out if not same match.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Jit, 3 metres of 127mm Gyproc cove @ trade prices is under £3.00 is your way worth the time and effort and expense !

8. eddie86

eddie86 New Member

Yeah looks like the plaster with paper type (you'll have to forgive me I'm a complete novice) I won't bother filling round the spider :) where can I pick gyproc cove from? Do I replace the whole length or cut it into the corner and fill round the edges

Thanks again

Attached Files:

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Google: Gyproc cove stockists near your area. No need to replace the whole length only around 250 - 300 mm from the corners.

10. eddie86

eddie86 New Member

Cheers

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wickes does Knauf plaster coving available as singles, might have a broken length going cheap.

12. Or you could - if you like the look - cover this - and all the other corners so's they match - with a decorative cover, like:

detail1.jpg

That's a plain one, but you can get them as fancy as you like.

This is the easiest solution, but you'd have to like the look.

Jord86 and KIAB like this.
  13. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

If you measure around curve with tape against the cove, what is it. I guess at around 127mm,so 5 inch cove. Hopefully not the 120mm cove that's hard to find these days. It's should come down the wall 83mm and out on the ceiling 83mm. Buy a length of cove and measure 83mm from the end in and mark the top. Now draw line from the 83mm to the bottom corner. Run saw through line. That's your angle. Square up the the mess in the corner ceiling so it's a vertical join. Seal all the edges of new and old cove with Pva or wood glue. Stick and fill cove with poly fillers. Sand and paint. If you need pictures of how to let me know and I'll post.