advice needed on shower repair

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by ross1892, Jan 24, 2017.

1. ross1892

ross1892 New Member

Hi

I have had a couple of tiles slip in my shower. The water has got behind and the plasterboard is damp. i have removed all the bottom row off tiles and the next row up just to make sure the water hasnt leaked from above them. thankfully it hadnt and it is dry. i have removed the plasterboard that has been exposed by removing the tiles. Any particular make model and does it need sealed before tiling?
    What do i replace it with?
    It will fit right next to upstand of shower tray.

Thanks

Ross

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

as dr bodgit says, use a cement board like hardiebacker. You may well find the tiles above where you have pulled off are also loose. If they are go a bit higher. If there is a joint between PB and hardiebacker, put a noggin in to support the edges. Hardiebacker doesn't need sealing. Use a cement based (bagged powder) tile adhesive - much better than the readymix stuff.

If the old tiles have ordinary adhesive on the back, soak them in water overnight to help get it off.