Advice on cutting in please?

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by keane14, Mar 12, 2017.

1. keane14

keane14 Member

hi Guys,

Just had the living room re skimmed at great expense, also spent a load on paint.

But looking at the join between wall and ceiling, I have not done a great job of cutting in, any advice to rectify this?

Many thanks!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    tore81 and keane14 like this.
  3. keane14

keane14 Member

Thanks Kiab, didn't consider the quality of the brush!

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Purdy are the Rolls Royce of paint brushes,but with any paint brush they need to be looked after.

keane14 and Joe95 like this.
  5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

;)Plenty of practice, a steady hand, reasonable brush and don't think about it too much. :D:D:D:D

keane14 and KIAB like this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

What up there with Purdy for quailty paint brushes Astra.:)

Got some synthetic ones here, unknown brand, free sample & they are like using stiff brush, no end of fabric softener will get them softer, using them for liquid dpm now.:D

keane14 likes this.
  7. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

Wooster synthetic brushes are also good. I've grown rather fond of sash cut brushes. Flowing, fairly fast continuous motion rather than sort, sharp bursts.
    Also, be sure to 'feather' the edge away from your cut line so that there's a gradient rather than a sharp ridge of paint at that edge. If you don't, when you roll up to that edge you'll still see the ridge and end up with a 'picture frame' effect which aint pretty

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    keane14 and KIAB like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

And cheaper than a Purdy, will get one tomorrow to try.:)

http://www.screwfix.com/p/wooster-silver-tip-synthetic-bristle-paint-brush-2/8483g

keane14 likes this.
  9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Nothing wrong with Purdy brushes I love them, ' other makes are available'. :D:D:D:p:p:p;)

10. P J Thompson

P J Thompson Active Member

11. keane14

keane14 Member

Thanks guys, I will see what I can pick up in B&Q!

12. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What size brush are you using keane?

Often peeps think a small 1" brush will be more accurate but it won't hold enough paint to give a smooth steady flow and you end up with a jagged line

Would suggest between 2-3" brush. I've recently brought some new brushes and given Harris Synthetic (blue handles, BQ) a try with the slant cut bristles. Really like them for cutting in

If you need to redo the wall/ceiling junction, then touch in ceiling first and slightly overlap onto wall - dont worry about trying to cut in both ceiling and wall

Purdeys are highly recommended for sure but spending £20 on a brush won't instantly turn you into a pro !

Get up as high as you can to ceiling and get into a comfortable position, facing the wall your cutting in, i.e. Not working sideways to the wall

Load up the brush and wipe off excesss, start cutting in a few mm lower than the line to get a 'feel' then work up to the correct line. Try and cut in with a smooth steady flow and you should be able to achieve 2-3 feet at a time (hence the brush holding more paint and good steady paint release) you get a feel for how much paint to load up, a new brush improves with usage and your cutting in line will grow longer with each single pass

Difficult to put into words but definitely practice and trying different techniques helps, along with a decent (not necessarily the best) brush ! Good luck

tore81 and keane14 like this.
  13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

14. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Surprised you haven't popped into the Decorators shops near you, plenty of stockists in the West Country

The one feature of these brushes that make them stand out - how few bristles drop out.

The big shame is that Purdys like a lot of US made products have a limited stock and range over here.

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Cheaper online.

Even paint like Crown Fastflow Quick Dry Gloss is cheaper than I can buy it here.

16. Mattyg75

Mattyg75 New Member

Cutting in is a mixture of technique, confidence and experience.
    Practice, practice, practice!

keane14, Astramax and KIAB like this.
  17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Surprised, I am inundated with offers (3 for 2, 30% off etc.) on paint from the big sheds at the moment and also the independents & builders merchants

18. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very rare to get SF vouchers.:(

Astramax likes this.
  19. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

I get loads of Screwfix vouchers, last ones I recycled (bin) and the next ones I'm going to trade with sospan for the paint offers! :D;)

20. keane14

keane14 Member

Thanks Diydave great advice, and also thanks everyone else for taking the time to give advice!

Purchased Harris brushes at B&Q, they are slant cut bristles, think it is 2 inches wide, I did try earlier and it looks better, but I think the damage was already fine with my first effort, I will start again by painting it white and then cutting again with my coloured paint.

Thanks again all!

P J Thompson likes this.