Advice on fitting Plastic pipe for central heating

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by f49h, Jul 24, 2014.

1. f49h

f49h New Member

Hi Guys and gals

I will be fitting a central heating system. The problem is, I will be using a 22mm ring main with 10mm drops to the radiator. this is all in plastic. Now. Which is better using the plastic pipe fittings or using inserts and using compression fittings. The 10mm pipe will be buried in the wall.

Cheers

2. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Your question is a bit like which car should I buy, the choice is yours each brand and jointing system is much of a muchness. Personally I use the Uponor MLCP system, but to use this you need a pressing tool and associated parts which cost over £500.00, which puts it out of the range of the average DIY'er. But if you can hire the pressing tool its without doubt the best plastic system going.

http://www.uponor.co.uk/en-gb/solutions/tapwater-connection/press-system.aspx

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the two most common systems for reliablity are speedfit (john guest) or Hep20, both are good, compression fittings will be harder because you won't have room to spanner them up. use inserts with ALL systems,

4. All said above, f49h.

You shouldn't have any problems. Use the provided push-fit fittings, not brass compression. Use inserts every single time.

You are going to bury the 10mm pipes in the wall? How will they be insulated and protected? Try and avoid having any fittings in the wall - run unbroken lengths of pipe.

5. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Plastic is good,but I always use copper and solder where I can,a good solder fitting never let's you down.

Dave does Gas likes this.