Advice on how to best drill accurate holes into interior wimpey no-fines walls?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by steveyg777, May 12, 2013.

1. steveyg777

steveyg777 New Member

Advice on how to best drill accurate holes into interior wimpey no-fines walls?

I have an sds rotary hammer drill and masonry bits but when i hit stones within the wall my drill is sent flying all over the place resulting in one seriously ****** off person and a wall that looks like it has been shotgunned!

my solution so far is to make a mess of the wall while removing enough stones that are in the way and then cementing the "crater". wait for it to dry and then properly and accurately drill a sensible hole.

Is this the best/only way? it's really long winded. Please share your experiences and advice

Thanks,

Steve

Attached Files:

2. surfermick

surfermick New Member

i cant work out what  you are drilling into, the walls are hollow are they? what do you mean no- fines?

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

4. surfermick

surfermick New Member

blimmey, so they are cement walls with stones in the mix, hmm

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

just a really course mix, generally no sand, so plenty of voids - and the aim was to allow the finished walling to remain aerated, seemed a good idea at the time

how about a couple of inches thick of timber held up flush with the wall, that you can use as a template/guide that'll stop the wandering

or a much smaller pilot to get you started

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I had to try to drill a hole for a waste pipe in a kitchen through a no-fines wall. Ended up chiselling a hole then filling it after the pipe had been put in position. There's really no easy way to drill holes into these damn walls though.

7. teabreak

teabreak Screwfix Select

Like Sean says the smallest possible pilot drill and work up in sizes.
    One possible way worth trying might be, as I assume there is some plaster, to cut a peice of thick ply with the correct size hole and some nails knocked through so they just give spikes on the back that can grip the wall when pushed against it.

teabreak

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

You will know that with SDS drills you just hold the drill and it does all the work easily!

Don't let it. Remember the old percussion drills, how hard you had to push to even go into brick?

Push like that, as hard as you can, straight in.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. Hi Stevy G

I would use a diamond tipped 6 or 7mm "core drill"

http://www.screwfix.com/p/diamond-core-drill-18-x-85mm/93712

The one shown here is 18mm but you can get 6 or 7mm from any tiling centre or good store.

Keep the drill speed low but pressure high and keep the bit wet to stop it overheating, if it overheats the surface clogs and blunts real quick.

The desing of the diamond tip allows you better control over the route the tip tries to take. Dont forget that the stones found in concrete are as hard as porcelain and most masonary or TCT tile cutting bits will not penetrate them thats why the bit wanders so badly, it just slides off the stone.

However, when you first encounter the stone just use light pressure and allow the abrasive action of the  bit to do its job, once you have started to penetrate the stone then apply the pressure.

Have fun, each hole will take upwards of 15 or 20 mins to cut

Hope this helps

Russ

www.iiplumbing-services-derby.co.uk

10. steveyg777

steveyg777 New Member

Thank you to everyone for all your replies and advice, especially so quickly! I ended up filling the holes with cement, redrilling them properly and painting the damaged areas over. I will however try the suggestions next time i need to drill holes in these traumatic walls...

Steve