Advice on moving downstairs toilet (with pics)

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Laurasarah, Oct 8, 2015.

1. Laurasarah

Laurasarah New Member

Hi everyone,

I have just moved into a renovation project! The downstairs toilet has been installed on an original exterior wall. This now has a garage extension around it. I would like the toilet to be on the back wall - facing you as you go in.
    As you can see at the moment it is to the right of the room to meet the existing waste pipe but leaves almost no room for a person.

I have been advised that to move it to the back wall would mean running a pipe up and down the back of the garage wall to meet the waste but it would mean a pipe running behind the garage door, stopping it from opening fully.

Are there any alternatives to this?

Thank you for any help you can give.

Just to add, it will be boarded and plastered and decorated afterwards

Attached Files:

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Do you know where the pipe goes underground, if it runs to the outside near the wall you want to fit the toilet too, you could make a connection to it at that point.

3. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

I'm thinking a drawing would be better than photos !

4. Yep! A rough sketch to explain where all these things are would be good!

LauraS, is it a case of moving the loo to the end wall to its left - ie just around the corner? If so, in theory you could run the soil pipe around that corner, surface-mounted, until it exits out where it currently does.

Ideally, tho', you'd want the soil pipe to go out through the wall the loo is mounted on. As a compromise, could the position where the soil pipe currently goes through the wall be moved a couple of feet to its left towards the corner (without it actually being around the corner)? This way the soil ext from the pan would just elbow sharply right from its back and head along the end wall and go through the same wall as it currently does - just a few feet further along.

(Yeah, I know - I should do a sketch too... :rolleyes: )