Advice on pipe sizes, please

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by ianwh, May 26, 2014.

1. ianwh

ianwh New Member

Hi, everyone. I'd appreciate some advice, please.
    I am installing toilet and shower on ground floor of out building using a macerator pumped vertically approximately 1 metre, then gravity fed approximately 25 metres in 32mm pipe to connect to underground drain. On the first floor, I am installing washing machine and Belfast sink which will connect to the main drain at the same place (i.e. 25 metres away) but the whole run can be gravity fed.
    My question is - should I have a completely separate pipe run for the WM and sink in 40 or 50 pipe (with suitable anti-vac) or is there a way of combining the pumped run with the gravity run? BTW, it is neither practical nor cost effective to run a new underground branch to eliminate the need for the pump.
    Thanks in anticipation.

2. plumberboy

plumberboy Well-Known Member

Your pipe runs are too long if your talking metres, the Max distance for 100mm pipe gravity run is about 6m's.
    A macerator appliance will come with info for what distance it can cope with but the distance's you are talking are extremely long runs for gravity only system.

Last edited: May 26, 2014
  3. BLUEJACKET

BLUEJACKET Active Member

Pumped vertically 1 metre and then 25 metres horizontally? is okay if I've read it right

B J

4. ianwh

ianwh New Member

Thank you for your reply. I'm happy with the pumped part - the macerator supplier says it is OK up to 90 metres. Regarding gravity drainage, my understanding is that lengths of runs are only limited if the pipe is not ventilated. If ventilated, I thought that the only limit is the location of rodding points. Am I wrong? It's the washing machine and sink drain I'm struggling with. I suppose at a pinch I could feed them through the macerator but this seems like overkill when I've got the opportunity for gravity.

5. plumberboy

Do the gravity one in 50mm pipe,although this is not deemed good practice at that length it will work.
    Limits for waste pipe are:
    32mm Max length 1.8m
    40mm/3.0m
    50mm/4.0m
    100mm/6.0m
    Hope this helps.

ianwh likes this.
  6. ianwh

ianwh New Member

Thank you. I know my situation is a bit unusual. I just want to understand the risks. My thoughts are that the gravity run (washing machine and sink) doesn't include solids, the potential fall is 1:40, all the bends are easy using 2 x 45 degree bends and I can rod from both ends. All comments gratefully received.

7. plumberboy

No major risks really,nothing to worry about as long as you have good access.;)