Advice on what is happening to paint??

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Me-bex, Aug 15, 2017.

1. Me-bex

Me-bex New Member

Hi,
    I have uploaded a picture of what is happening to my walls when painting. I have never had this problem before. We have just moved into our house and we are renovating.

I do not know what type of paints they used on the wall before but the paint we have bought is the Basics brilliant white Matt emulsion via screwfix which has really good reviews. But during the second coat it has bubbled and come off the walls however it has taken the paint underneath off all the way back to plaster and what has come off is also and is really stretchy?? It makes the walls look like they have a disease ☹️. Will I have to sand all the walls and start again??? Please say no!

Attached Files:

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Basics....say a lot by the name and £9.99 for 10 litres say a lot more, you get what you pay for.....:confused:o_O better of going to Wickes and buying 3x 5 litres for the price of 2 Dulux offer. Is the Basics paint a non vinyl emulsion?

Last edited: Aug 15, 2017
    KIAB likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Basics brilliant white Matt emulsion.:rolleyes::D

4. Unfair - that issue was not caused by the paint, but by something underlying.

I say this 'cos I've had the same thing happen in one room in ma hoosie with a perfectly good paint (tho' can't remember which one). It only happened in that one room - I think a bathroom.

Shortly after the paint was applied, bubbles developed which were air-filled (or a gas at least). They did largely disappear as the paint dried, tho'.

I'm now going to be really unhelpful and say I can't remember how I sorted it - I think I just pressed the bar stewards flat with my thumb and rolled over them again! Damn, I now recall even puncturing them with a sewing needle first :eek:

All I can suggest, Me-bex, is to allow it to fully dry, go over the surface with 180 grit paper just to flatten it (no need to actually sand off all the paint...) and then seal it with BIN Gardz or similar.

And then cross your fingers as you apply the fresh paint.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Agreed DA ............but.........were the walls washed etc, what preparation was taken before painting, I think the paint is a contract matt at that price so will probably wash off the walls with sugar soap or even washing up liquid ready to start over again with fresh paint.

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If the paint underneath is coming off and leaving clean plaster, its likely that the newly plastered walls were never sealed with a 'mist coat' and the paint just lashed on to the new plaster

The paint then sits on the surface of the plaster and doesn't really sink in and bond. It may well look fine for years and it wont fall off by itself. Its when you come to paint the next time that the problem arises. The water in the new paint tends to soften and lift off the underlying paint. The stretchy texture you mention sounds like its silk emulsion - did it have a sheen to it, I recon it did. Silk paint is weird stuff and 'may' cause problems when painted over with non vinyl emulsion. Its also related to Mozzarella cheese, hence the stretchy stringy texture :D

How many walls have you painted so far and how widespread is the problem

Astramax likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Thinking you are 'spot on' DIYDave.

8. Me-bex

Me-bex New Member

Thank you for your replies, yes we sugar soaped the walls before painting and the paint prior is shiny. We used the basics paint in the kitchen but we had the kitchen completely re-plastered and then sealed to paint it and it looks amazing. No problem with the basic paint at all, went on really well dried quick and only took two coats.

In fact some of the other rooms it is almost waxy/oily, the people we bought from have lived there since it was built in 1986 and they became broke when the husband died a few years ago. I know the son said he was mixing paints for the windows to use up 'old' paints so I am now wondering if they have done the same on the walls??

I used zinsser bullseye after sanding the awful mess off the windows, would that be appropriate for the walls in the house??

Thank you.

9. Britt

Britt New Member

I am currently having the exact same issues that you described and my walls are a carbon copy of the photo from your original post! Have you decided what steps to take next or had any luck with using the zinsser?

10. Me-bex

Me-bex New Member

Hi ,

We are going to wash the paint off give it a light sand the put the zinsser on. I have used the zinsser on the awful windows inside and out for undercoat and it is brill! It says it can be used on walls as well, so hoping this will help seal the walls.
    Or if when we wash it takes all the old paint off as it is peeling off to the plaster then we will do a 70/30 wash of paint to seal. I don't think it will all go to plaster though so probably the Zinsser.

Good luck!

11. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Rub down. Seal the wall to create a barrier. Spot fill and sand. Spot prime the filler. Paint the walls with better paint than basics tack. I really can't get my head around the reviews of the cheapo budget paints? It is no better than nursery school poster paint, terrible stuff! but there it is. Use quality paint and follow the instructions for painting the surface. Don't back roll meaning going back on yourself or second coating to quick. Paint sets but isn't dry. It then takes several hours to dry and harden ready for another coat. Many ignore the drying times stated on thins and get troubles.

Me-bex likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Me-bex likes this.
  13. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If really bad, bite the bullet and get a wall paper steamer and scrape the lot off!

Me-bex and KIAB like this.