Advice please - Valspar emulsion left house smelling of cat urine

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by LJG, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Mina Kha

Mina Kha New Member

OMG! It's crazy how there are others out there too. All the symptoms mentioned above: urine smell that gets worse when windows open and in warm
    Weather. I only realised it was the walls this morning after going mad sniffing everything in the house.

So back in November we painted over newly plastered (2 months) walls after it had been painted in farrow and ball colour which just didn't go with our room. firstly the paint went on
    Really badly. Thin lumpy and awful. Literally ruined my walls :/ I contacted bnq who blamed the painter but what got worse was this stupid smell. I blamed my poor kitty for months. I've spent a fortune on plug in air freshners. I went mad cleaning everything. Even considered chucking my sofas as it was driving me insane. Only this morning
    I realised it was the walls after sniffing it!! It's the only room we've used this horrible paint. I'm so angry. I think we should all join forces!!!

2. Touche

Touche Member

I haven't, but not that young myself!!!

3. Touche

Touche Member

I'm in Liverpool. By the way, Valspar's website is not back up and running. I have just written a very lengthy email. I still have my receipts, and tin with some in. It will be interesting to hear their response.

4. Touche

Touche Member

Mistyped there, I meant to say the Valspar website IS up and running.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Slightly younger than me ;)

6. Rima

Rima New Member

Yep I'm Manchester. Not exactly that far apart....

Have re-sniffed walls - definitely the V500 paints which stink. Have also sent a lengthy email with many MANY pictures.

7. Rima

Rima New Member

Where do you live murray?

8. Rima

Rima New Member

Where do you live? I'm going to ask everyone!

9. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

In a house.

10. Niq niq

Niq niq New Member

I'm in North London - doesn't look geographical. Will have a look for batch number tomorrow though.

11. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

Are you all going to form a posse

12. Rima

Rima New Member

Ah well. Was worth an ask.

13. Rima

Rima New Member

I bloody knew it!

14. Simon2412

Simon2412 New Member

Mines the v700 that stinks. In essex here.

15. Joanne Joy

Joanne Joy New Member

Mine is the V500 and V700...and I'm in Plymouth (for my sins!) If the weather cools down more will it stop smelling?!

16. Pregnantlady

Pregnantlady New Member

Hi,

Another one to join the cat **** club.

Spent hours trying to find cat **** source with UV light and lots of friends over to sniff. One figured it was the wall. Only the pink wall though. Other three white walls are fine.

7 months pregnant and not prepared to climb up a ladder to re-paint the baby's room.

Tried whole bottle of febreeze oudor eliminator, waste of time.

Have left bad review on their website
    Emailed BBC Watchdog
    Emailed Valspar customer

Awaiting response

Rima likes this.
  17. Simon2412

Simon2412 New Member

Same here. Have e mailed watchdog and contacted valspar. Valspar said they will get back to me soon.

18. cc01

cc01 New Member

All our poor moggies getting the blame! I also bought one of those uv light thingies! Was convinced it was his fault!
    I'm in High Wycombe by the way.

19. Joanne Joy

Joanne Joy New Member

yes, my poor cat went withut his 'dreamies' snacks for a few days

Touche and Pregnantlady like this.
  20. Paul Hollamby

Paul Hollamby New Member

Another victim of the smelly cat p*$$ paint. I painted our nursery 3 months ago ready for our new arrival. After one particularly warm day and having had the door closed all day I walked in to the room only to be hit with the full effect of the smell! I initially thought we had a gas leak, so opened all the windows and called the emergency gas number. As soon as they came out they walked into the room they said it was the paint. After some research I found this thread. Valspar V500 paint is terrible. I will never again buy Valspar paint or buy paint from B&Q.