Advice please - Valspar emulsion left house smelling of cat urine

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by LJG, Apr 17, 2017.

1. Simon2412

Simon2412 New Member

Attached Files:

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I wish valspar would go look and test this problem paint. I have been using valspar paint for the last 4 weeks and using again next week. Mixes and off the shelf trade white and magnolia. Was painting in the heat last week with it with no problems. No smell. Not even while I was painting. 2 months ago I painted my own house with valspar. White and mixes. No smell and we have a cat. I am worried about these reports but having used emulsions that have gone off real bad on touch up jobs, only for the stink to go in a couple of days has me puzzled why the paint is smelling? Has anyone tried painting some cardboard or paper and taking it to the store for staff to smell. No argument then.

3. Coxyrach100

Coxyrach100 New Member

Just looked on facebook and in one comment they actually say it's a rare occurrence. Clearly not and there are 900+ reviews on their website which all say more or less the same thing. Thats rare for you!

Rima and Simon2412 like this.
  4. Rima

Rima New Member

Righto everyone. I've set up an email address.
    Can you all email me on valsparpaintproblems@gmail.com so I've got people's details.
    Then we can keep each other updated on what happens but keep eaach others email addresses off here.
    I've had some progress but as I say I'll let you all know when you've emailed.
    Back to smelling pissy again today after a cool day where it was slightly better on Friday morning. How's everyone else getting on?
    Will be calling Consumer Advice and Trading Standards as per John Morley's email: 03454 04 05 06

Have emailed Valspar more than once and BBC Watchdog as well as posting on their facebook page. Awaiting their response since I went back to them with more info on the problem and explained it couldnt be the substrate as we've used Valspar paint on other walls in the house and other paints on the same wall......

In the meantime have moved the baby out as it's making me wheezy and we've still not had confirmation from anyone that it's safe?!

Simon2412 likes this.
  5. Coxyrach100

Coxyrach100 New Member

That's my concern whether its safe and if theres anything that can be done without repainting. My baby is due in 7 weeks and don't want this smell in the house. Will email you now

Rima likes this.
  6. Pregnantlady

Pregnantlady New Member

Make sure you all join the Facebook group. Just search on Facebook under groups for 'Valspar Paint Problems'

Simon2412 likes this.
  7. lizzielouH

lizzielouH New Member

Can I join the 'cats wee' club please?!
    Thought it was only us who had this problem! Decorated our daughters bedroom about 6 weeks ago with Valspar paint.

Looked beautiful but over about a week a strong odour started emitting from the walls. Yes I thought soMething had died in there or my daughter had left minging wet trainers in the wardrobe! The smell just keeps getting stronger and stronger which really worries
    Me as she is asthmatic.

Also we are in the middle of trying to sell our house and am sure viewers must think twice when they walk upstairs to that stink.

My husband raised it with B&Q yesterday who feigned total surprise and said I should take it up with customer services head office.

8. CarolInCorsham

CarolInCorsham New Member

Has anyone else suffered from wheeziness and coughing as a result of exposure to the smell? We're about to attempt sealing the Valspar with zinsser bin, so we've been taping up skirting boards and windows, so I've been up close and personal to it.

9. john c morley

john c morley New Member

Everyone still needs to ring citizens advice and they will send your complaint to trading standards. We need more complaints to make them sit up and take notice.

0345-404-0506

We are trying to get a solicitor?

10. Toni park

Toni park New Member

Hi all, I had asked on the Canterbury residence page if anybody had heard about this before I found this forum, I have a lady at the moment talking to me and she has been given money for sealer and paint but refused decorating costs. She just sent me a photo of the label on the can of paint she has and I compared it to mine, they are both mixed to order but one of the paint codes on our tins match. The number is shade 8991. Out of interest has anybody still got their tubs and do any of our shade numbers match

11. Toni park

Toni park New Member

My daughter has a lung disease and severe brittle asthma, and now you mention it her lungs have been horrendous for months, she is going through a whole inhaler every 3 days and is constantly on her nebulizer but seems better when she is out! Which is not often having just finished her exams

12. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

If you believe your daughters health problems are aggravated by the Valspar paint why for the cost of under £60 in materials do you not think it would be a more beneficial idea to seal and re paint the affected walls immediately and worry about any claim or compensation at a later date...............I know what I would do if it were my daughter ;)

Doall and KIAB like this.
  13. Toni park

Toni park New Member

I only discovered the issue Was not my cat related late on Friday night. I have brought the sealer and am currently trying to find a colour match paint

14. Jojo1984

Jojo1984 New Member

I have that code on my tub 8991, base A and I have the same problem

15. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

A lot of you do have cats if not all of you

Just a thought

Doall likes this.
  16. Sue Hodgkiss

Sue Hodgkiss New Member

Hi, yes that number is on the white label on my can

Toni park likes this.
  17. Sue Hodgkiss

Sue Hodgkiss New Member

Hi, yes we have a cat, but my parents have had the same problem & they don't have any pets??

18. Touche

Touche Member

I don't have a cat and cats don't normally pee on walls that I have ever heard of!!! It is the walls that smell, not the floor. I also don't think the number of people on this forum would be so dim that they would make that type of error, or any of the people on the other websites where this issue is being discussed.

Toni park likes this.
  19. Sparkielev

It definitely the paint ,having cats around prob not helping can't stand them

20. Sparkielev

Quite a few on here blamed the cat before they realised it was paint

Toni park likes this.