Advice please

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Andrew Samworth, Mar 22, 2016.

1. Andrew Samworth

Andrew Samworth New Member

Hi

Novice here, I re-grouted shower area in bathroom. there is some excess grout on some tiles, I wondering what is the best method to remove ? I guess I'm looking for a plastic scraper that wont damage the tiles ?

Cheers

2. What type of grout - a ready-mixed tub, or a powder you mixed with water?

3. Andrew Samworth

I used unibond ready mix grout

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Guess as a shower they're glazes tiles so shouldn't be stuck too firmly

Try a paint scraper, type with a Stanley blade for removing spots of paint off a window

Do you have or can borrow a wallpaper steamer, if so use the small area attachment and give the excess grout a steam then a scrape

Bit of elbow grease and a good wash down and should be fine

Remember next time to clean as you go and use a grout sponge

Great for polishing up grout as setting and leaving nice and smooth then flip over sponge and it has a nylon surface like a pan scoured. Removes excess before setting

Good luck

5. I wouldn't use a metal scraper as it can scratch the ceramic, and it'll also leave dark grey marks on the porcelain which are a pain to remove.

Lucky it was ready-mixed stuff as this is easier to remove. I think Dave's idea of a steamer is good - use a narrow nozzle and play the jet over the bits of grout whilst scraping it off with a piece of hard plastic or possibly even a bit of wood (with a sharp corner).

Once the bulk has been removed, then Jif or similar on a cloth should clean up the smears.

Hopefully.

If the tiles are other than shiny-smooth-glazed ceramic, take more care.

6. Andrew Samworth

Thanks for the replies and advice guys. I picked up a plastic scraper in paint section at a DIY store at the weekend and was able to remove the dried grout with no damage to the tiles and it, a little bit of time\patience and it tidied up the job nicely.

It was badly needed the grout has\had seriously discoloured from white to a brown rust color over time (I’d guess shower tiled approx 10 years ago). We will probably look to re-tile at some point but it looks a lot cleaner now.

Thanks again for your advice.

7. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That's good news and thanks for the follow up

Out of interest did you remove the old grout and with what tool / implement

8. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I think there is a clue in his post Dave o_Oo_O

9. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I must be missing it then chips, :):)

I am a bit tired right now so may be far too subtle for me ..... ?

I would say that fully removing the grout is the hardest part of the job (although multi tool great for this)

You did remove the old grout didn't you Andrew ?? :eek:

10. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's in the first sentence about picking up a scraper and removing the grout :)

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Think you and I are talking at cross purposes here chips .....

Either that or we've been drinking (I've been on rose tonight, bit girly I agree but felt like summer here today)

Anyway.... I digress

Andrew has re-grouted his shower and is after advice on best option to remove excess grout (from face of tiles I'm guessing) and then talks about using a plastic scraper
    Onviousy at this stage the new grout has dried

Post 7, I ask "out of interest" How did op remove the "old" grout and with what

The old stuff needs to be removed, ideally full depth, before re- grouting. He ain't gonna be removing this stuff with a plastic scraper for sure !!

Anyway ...... What you been drinking tonight chips :p

12. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Hi Dave.
    The OP's original question was about getting rid of some excess grout and he was told to scrape it off, he then said he'd bought a scraper and was happy with the results.
    Getting the old grout out from between the tiles before re-grouting only came up when you brought it up.
    I was on red but only had a glass left in the bottle so cracked open a white. :):)

13. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That's enough talk about grout now for the night

So, if you've had a glass of red, then a couple glasses of white, then essentially you've made rose, which is what I've been drinking - what a coincidence eh :)

Often find that last glass in the bottle, if been left a few days never tastes that good to me. Something to do with being exposed to all that air which now fills the bottle. Usually ends up in the kitchen cupboard for a spag bol or something

Unless you've got a fancy gadget for removing the air from a part drunk bottle ?

How do you find that last glass, possibly doesn't happen often :D

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's never more than one day, my wife has some sort of resealable cork to keep her prosecco fizzy.

15. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

if you mix them half & half,do you get rose?....I don't know,I'm a confirmed lager lout....It has to be a good one though. Not Fosters or sh***e like that. :D:D

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Rose wine is made by allowing the dark grape skins to remain in the juice for a few days to colour it.
    I drank all the red first and then the white. :)