Advice regarding Tiling

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Fitterman, Nov 6, 2015.

1. Fitterman

Fitterman Member

Hello All, I'm hoping to tile the bathroom and need some advice.

I've removed the tiles from 3 walls and this has left the scraped adhesive on these walls. The walls are fairly flat. Can I tile straight onto this adhesive or do I need to remove it completely or bond with SBR or similar.

With the 4th wall I had to go right back to the brick as the plaster was loose and very crumbly behind the tiles. This is the outside wall side of the bathroom.
    With the 4th wall I was thinking moisture resistant PB on batons or adhesive, but do I need to prime the plasterboard before tiling onto it?
    The tiles going onto the wall will be 600 x 300 ceramic.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. ThatDudeNick

ThatDudeNick Member

Save your yourself battening and just dot and dab!

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

If your using a ready mixed tub adhesive you generally don't need to prime plaster board as its contained in the mix

If using a powdered, cement based adhesive then yes prime with acrylic SBR primer

As using large format tiles, I would think a powdered ady would be better, but I'm just diy so don't take my word for it

Not many tilers on this forum these days - if any ? :(

4. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Dot and dab as you can get your PB plumb if wall out.

It's really important that your walls are as flat as poss given the size of tiles. It's very easy to get lippage if they're wonky. Use powdered ady, and prime as Dave mentioned.

5. Fitterman

Fitterman Member

Thanks for your replies. Can I tile onto an uneven wall that still has previous dabs of tile adhesive all over it? I can just use more adhesive, what do you think, or should I remove the old adhesive. The walls with the adhesive still on are fairly flat, but obviously have dabs of adhesive all over.

Regards,

6. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Remove old adhesive.

Try a steamer if you have one.

7. Fitterman

Fitterman Member

Can you tile over adhesive, applying adhesive directly to the tile?