Aerial Cable Running running throught 'Party Wall'

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Jitender, Jun 1, 2016.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The TV aerial cables run through the party wall in the loft.

We are in a row of 3 terraces, being the middle. We have ours and nexdooors cable running through the walls.

This was like this was the house was built and is also mentioned in the house deeds.

As am planing on doing loft conversion, will have to re-position the holes for the cables, but unsure of what to use as want to minimize the spread of fire.

The Party Wall surveyor is arriving tomorrow so will mentions this to him as well.

Neighbor 1

upload_2016-6-1_19-4-53.png

Neighbor 2

upload_2016-6-1_19-5-13.png

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Do you share an arial then????

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Still used, weird setup.

And Neighbor has a U in it...:p

4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Ones our cable, the other is the neighbors one. The aerial mast has 3 x individual aerials for each house which is fixed on the gable on first house.

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

And a 'P'......for PAIN in the RRRSSS!

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Not to mention two 'o's in nextdoors!:D

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think all the house were built like this 1980's.

They were built by the council.

There is a section in the deed which mention about this as well.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think I'm going to buy a intumescent pipe collar, the cable can be passed through a length of 32mm ABS pipe.

Looks like they will need to be installed on either side.

Unless somebody has any better ideas

[​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 2, 2016
  9. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Drill smaller hole. Feed wires through. Squirt in mastic to block up gaps.

Jitender and KIAB like this.
  10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

A much better idea using sealant, could use a fire rated sealant like Everbuild Fire Mate sealant, it will resist the passage of fire for up to 5 hours, cost around £2 or less a tube.
    Using intumescent pipe collars is way over the top, not needed,also agree you could drill smaller hole, something 20mm conduit size, or smaller.

Jitender likes this.
  11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think I'll propose drilling a 22mm hole then inserting a piced of 20mm conduit, and then seal using fire rated mastic.

KIAB likes this.
  12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Perfect.:)

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

The PW surveyor has got back to me and after an initial consultation with the one neighbor, she is not happy for anyone to have access to her loft.

I dont see away around this, as the cable would have to be re positioned anyway.

I am proposing that a new aerial and mast be fitted, which I would bear the costs for, so that the new cabling can be run outside and clipped onto gable end, before entering into lounge. This may solve the aerial issue.

But when the steels go in for loft conversion it is very likely that I would need access to her loft as some bricks have been laid in header format so may require full removal, then be replaced with bricks on stretcher format.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Loft conversions & party walls can cause so much grief.:(

15. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I've got the telebeams surveyor coming this week, see what they say, may not go for a dormer now. Steels are going to work out alot cheaper though and a little extra head room.

Employing the PW surveyor was a good move, as sometimes neighbors may say one thing and then go against it especially when dealing with the council as owners, he said there had been instances where notices had been served, only to be scrutinized afterwards as the person who was served the notice, is not able to legally deal with it so the notice is not valid which could potentially delay projects.

16. benben5555

benben5555 Member

The Party Wall Act allows lawful development. This means if you have Planning Permission you can get access to your neighbours loft whether she likes it or not. If you dont want to compromise on your plans make sure your Party Wall surveyor is aware so they can negotiate with the neighbour.

17. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

On the aerial side of things, there is a condition in the deed which mentions that workmen are allowed access to the roof space in order to maintain the cables etc. Offering to provide a new aerial mast and cable feed at my cost to be sited on her gable end may save all the hassle in future too.

Would like to get the steels for loft conversion order and fitted this year, at least then I can concentrate on getting the rest of the house in order.

Along the party wall both sided bricks have been placed in header format so it is very likely for the whole brick to be removed, and then replaced with a stretcher bond on her side. The best thing I can try and do is to say there is no guarantee that access will not be needed as bricks may get damaged no matter how careful yo can be to cut in situ.

18. Jit, you now have a PW surveyor - use him. They must surely know what to do about access - the legalities. Your entitlements.

(As for the bludy aerial cables, I'd have been tempted to cut and extend them and run them flat along the partition walls and bury them under the new wall coverings... )

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Best way, saves a lot of hassle.

Use F connectors to join cables, no chance of them pulling apart.

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I got a reply from the council saying that i could re-position the aerial gables for my house and neighbors' house into the eaves section so it was out the way.

Neighbor is being a nightmare. Someone from the council came today and I showed him my proposal and said it was good. He will write out a letter to the lady next door.

I've already cut the cable and joined with coaxial cable connectors. Should of used 'F' plugs as KIAB mentioned, as found that they easily pull apart :eek:. I now know what to do when the neighbor annoys me ;)

Dr Bodgit likes this.