Allotment Power Connection

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by cabbage, Jun 19, 2017.

1. cabbage

cabbage New Member

I’m new here and hoping for some basic advice to help me fill in the form from UK Power Networks.

Our allotment is situated about a hundred metres from the road. We want the electricity primarily for the meeting hut which is about 20’ x 12’. We have open days several times a year so would require a fridge, tea urn, microwave, heater, lighting for the hut and also out door lights for the pathway and earth toilet. We have 80 members who will probably use the electric facilities for tea if we get it. We thought we might be able to hire out the meeting hut too.

The form asks
    If the heating is to be electrically powered, please indicate the number of heaters, type, and input kW rating.
    I would like to know what the input kW rating for the appliances mentioned above. How do I find this out?

Please confirm your required load (preferably in kVA). Please remember that you are obliged to confirm your electrical requirements.
    We are smaller than a flat so I’m guessing our load is fairly light but I don’t totally understand what kVA is. Googling says that one kilovolt-amp is 1,000 volt-amps, making it similar to a kilowatt, which is 1,000 watts. Is our load the total kVAs If we have all the appliances switched on at the same time?

Thanks for any help. As you can see I’m totally green where electrics are concerned.

2. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

hi ,without blinding you with science ,kva is volts x amps divided by 1000. so a typical small house with 80 amp x 240 volt supply = 19200 ÷ 1000 is 19.2 kva. bigger house 100 amp x 240 volt = 24000 = 24 kva. so unless you are going to have a lot of things that draw a lot of current ,like electric showers / heaters etc 20 kva will be more than adequate for you. with regard to electric heaters ,their kW rating is clearly stated , for example ...you want to have two electric 2 kilowatt fan heaters to heat the room ,that would be total load of 4 kilowatts. hope that helps.

cabbage likes this.
  3. cabbage

cabbage New Member

Thanks Terrymac thats very helpful.

4. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

How much of the 100m run is land owned/leased by the allotments? And how much is public land?

When it comes to the installation, you may be able to negotiate a lower fee if you can dig the trench to the requirements of UK PN.

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I hope you allotment holders have deep pockets. A new supply, 100 metres from civilisation isn't going to be cheap.

6. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Buy a large powerful generator...

7. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

Be sure to make the supplier aware that you are a charity and not a business, give them your charity number. This will avoid you being hit with 20% VAT and a carbon charge.

FatHands likes this.