Altering cabinets

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Kieron79, Feb 23, 2015.

1. Kieron79

Kieron79 New Member

Hi, I have just finalised designs for my kitchen but I have an awkward space under stair bulkhead which is 505mm in depth, question is could i successfully alter (butcher) my 600 mm cabinets to fit into say a 500mm space? Thanks in advance

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Are these cabinets suplied ready assembled or flat packed

Can't see why they can't be altered, would be easier if supplied flat though

You will probably end up cutting off some of the fixings, ie cams and / or dowels but you could use plastic blocks or angle brackets in their place
    Also depending on the hanging method, you may need to alter this as well

All depends on your DIY skill level as well but you can always ask more questions here

3. Kieron79

Kieron79 New Member

Great thanks, cabinets are coming fully assembled and will be fitted by our builder who is doing extension, was just worried about strength of cabinets being compromised

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Oh right, the builder is doing this.......Sounded from your post that you would be altering the cabinets yourself, that's why I mentioned your diy abilities - no offence meant ;)

I'm sure that the builder has come across similar issues before so should not be a problem

5. Kieron79

Kieron79 New Member

Excellent, yeah I worded that wrong, got builder starting next Monday so will see what he thinks then, just impatient and wanted answer now ;)

6. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Possible, easy in fact, if your builder is a carpenter. If he is a brick layer it may not be so easy.

7. Altering the depth? That's chust part of the package of a kitchen fitter - grist to their mill, butter on their bread, fish in their kettle, that sort of thing.

They should be able to reduce the depth of a carcase with barely any sign that it's been done.

If it looks a mess, kick them hard and tell them to redo it - or you won't pay.

Now, reducing the width is a different cans of fish...

8. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

I can reduce a unit in all four dimensions. That's what we are paid for. Now when a customer asks to make it bigger ... that's another thing :p

FatHands likes this.
  9. Kieron79

Kieron79 New Member

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

You amateur. :D

11. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Don't forget Metro that the customer is always right......if the customer wants it bigger....then it must be possible ;)

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

You can get kitchen units in 500mm depth, assembled or flatpack several kitchen firms offers these.

Saves butchering a 600mm unit.:D