Am I going to be in trouble tomoz??

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Alwayspepared, May 4, 2016.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

A shower unit is not part of the fixed wiring. It's a shower unit. Current using equipment is NOT covered by 7671. I'm not saying I would or wouldn't issue a cert mate, I'm saying in the case of the o.p. he does not need to issue one as per 7671, though if the council or anyone else wanted one it should have been speced from the outset.

2. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Handy.Stop guessing & let the real leccys give their answers. :rolleyes:

3. nffc

nffc Active Member

Yes it is but the difference being a competent person has altered the fixed wiring in order to install it.

I did not say it requires it. I said it was good practice. Leaves a paper trail of work carried out and piece of mind that you have left what you have done in a fully compliant state. All bonding checked and final tests carried out with results within limits.

Would it be acceptable for a competent person to change a shower and not test that the RCD is in working order? Or the cable feeding it is satisfactory?

4. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Not sure what you mean "altered the fixed wiring in order to install it" if all that's done is change the shower? If you had to move it ten foot and run in new cable then sure, issue a MWC, as required.

The point I'm making is what point do you stop?

madhatter1uk likes this.
  5. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Of course it does if it is an electric shower or power shower.

I didn't say it requires a MEIWC. I said one MAY be used for this purpose if desired. I also stated that the Council almost certainly WILL have stated that they require one for accessory replacements. And therefore one would need to be issued.

I don't do any gardening in kitchens. But I wouldn't notify anyone when changing a lamp - or indeed for anything else as there is no Building Control notification requirement here.

leesparkykent likes this.
  6. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

but only in this respect
    1. In zone 1, only the following fixed and permanently connected current-using equipment shall be installed, provided it is suitable for installation in zone 1 according to the manufacturer’s instructions:

2. (iv) Whirlpool units
    3. (v) Electric showers
    4. (vi) Shower pumps
    5. (vii) Equipment protected by SELV or PELV at a nominal voltage not exceeding 25 V a.c. rms or 60 V ripple-free d.c., the safety source being installed outside zones 0, 1 and 2
    6. (viii) Ventilation equipment
    7. (ix) Towel rails
    8. (x) Water heating appliances
    9. (xi) Luminaires.

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The question mark at the end of a sentence denotes an enquiry, not a statement!

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The inspection schedule lists tick boxes for current using equipment. Personally I would issue a Mwc.

leesparkykent likes this.
  9. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Insp. Sched. Only required for new work.

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I issue a MWC for this type of job if in a council dwelling, if private I don't usually bother.

11. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

My first question would be this,has the property had a change of tenant since the shower was fitted? Has the property had an electrical inspection since the shower was fitted? If the property has had a change of tenant then it should have had an electrical inspection before it was re let,therefore the issue should have been picked up,same if it had had any other electrical inspection.

12. madhatter1uk

madhatter1uk Screwfix Select

Exactly, and if it was a whole ago there's nothing to say that the connector block hasn't worked loose since then. I don't see how extending a shower cable that is in a non RCD DB to a RCD one using connector blocks is bad practice. Changing a consumer unit sometimes means that every wire needs to be extended

13. Alwayspepared

Alwayspepared New Member

Hi all,the council were satisfied with us not supplying at MWC for the works we carried out...hope that's helped with one side of the debate...however they did try accusing me of installing the 6mm using 30amp connectors which I strongly denied,especially after the earth cable had been cut out the 6mm t+e cable,we are presuming the council tenant had a DIY session and got it terribly wrong....couldn't see the connections unless I had took off the db1 front cover,which I had no reason to do so,and the 6mm used to extend the circuit was very well hidden so I just presumed it went into the stud wall.i have managed to not get in trouble.

Coloumb likes this.
  14. Alwayspepared

Alwayspepared New Member

No mate,same tenants

15. Comlec

Comlec Screwfix Select

You were never in trouble. Lesson learned

Alwayspepared likes this.
  16. Alwayspepared

Alwayspepared New Member

Never had any trouble like it before though, so panic set in

17. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Ya weren't prepared for that were ya lol :oops:;):D

Kind regards

18. Alwayspepared

Alwayspepared New Member

Hell no

19. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

I had one once,the stupid tenant nearly killed himself, defo squeaky bum time that day. I could have killed the silly sod myself, leccy board,council and hse on site, all going over my work with a fine toothed comb.The idiot was asking who was going to pay for the dimmer he,d blown, he went all quiet when the guy from the council asked if he was paying the bill for all the damage he,d caused mucking about with the wiring.

Risteard likes this.