AMD's Ryzen

Discussion in 'Tech Talk' started by Joe95, Mar 1, 2017.

1. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

AMD's new Ryzen chips are being released tomorrow, and I'll throw a few articles of interest out there.

The top of the range model, the 1800x, is over half the price of Intel's equivalent eight core CPU's:
    https://www.overclockers.co.uk/amd-...hz-socket-am4-processor-retail-cp-39v-am.html
    A very fair price for an unlocked 4GHz CPU IMO.

And some more on that 'unlocked' part. Someone was able to get the chip to 5.2GHz, which breaks records of overclocking previously. The CPU was able to run stable at this speed, and scoring a huge 2449 on Cinebench R15. The proof:
    tWw6CFrsfVSRpPs3gDDQMT-650-80 (2).png
    That was achieved using liquid nitrogen cooling, so don't get your hopes up on reaching that kind of overclock. Unless you run a CPU at -200 degrees for everyday tasks...

Another interesting point is that Intel have dropped their selling prices on most of their CPU's. After many, many years we could be looking at a big change in the market and finally the return of the competition. Read more here: http://www.kitguru.net/components/c...ces-start-to-drop-ahead-of-amds-ryzen-launch/

AMD will not be releasing the '5' and '3' range till later this year, which will likely help in building up attention and anticipation of the release.

There has been rumor of memory issues with higher speed DDR4. I haven't found any solid evidence but it has been mentioned in a lot of articles and discussions.

In other tech news, Nvidia has announce their new card, the 1080ti. Nvidia have stated it outperforms their Titan X pascal, and considering that card was marketed as the flagship model, it just goes to show how memory configuration can change a card's performance entirely.

I'll sit here with my 4790K drooling, and trying to resist purchasing the 1800X. I have been throwing the idea around of doing an acrylic water-cooled build for a while now, and this may well be an excuse to go ahead with it...

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I'm waiting for the reviews before I buy, was tempting, but I decided to hold off splashing the cash.

Memory issues pfff!, probably some Intel fan spreading rumours, we don't know if it's true, no one will have the production cpu until 2nd March, other than certian tech sites for reviewing.

Sincerely hope this works out for AMD, been a few years since their Opteron cpu's upset Intel, really want to see Intel get another bloody nose.:)

Intel are already dropping cpu prices, so they are worried about something.

You will also see DDR 4 memory prices rising for a while, luckily I bought a load last year in readiness, already price now is about £40 more, than what I payed last year.

Last edited: Mar 1, 2017
    Joe95 likes this.
  3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I'm holding out too, I'm also hoping the price might drop as I expect sales to be very high.

It'll be brilliant for the market if it is a success, AMD will drive Intel's prices down, there will be more R&D in both companies and so many more benefits.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Ryzen alreay has No1,2 & 3 places, for best selling cpu on Amazon.

Next we need AMD new graphic card VEGA to be a success, it's due out shortly, it's on my list, I'm going to be broke...:(

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

That's a very nice build he's done. Good thing to hold off on buying, there's also not many motherboards that support it yet.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Give it a few weeks, will around 24 boards available, Ryzen is very good, but it has a few niggles to iron out, but things will improve as it matures.
    One good thing Intel have had to drop their prices.:)

And AMD new graphic card RX Vega out around May is going to give Nvida a bad fright with regards to performance, hopefully prices will drop as well.

Also Biostar has a mini ITX board due out, will make a nice media system, expect other ITX boards from other makers to appear in the next few months.

http://hexus.net/tech/news/mainboard/103165-biostar-shows-x370gtn-mini-itx-am4-motherboard/

Last edited: Mar 12, 2017
    Joe95 likes this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Last edited: Mar 16, 2017
    Joe95 likes this.
  10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

A bit old now but Ryzen has come on a bit now since March lol.

[​IMG]

Threadripper out in a few weeks time so interesting times ahead. Me thinks that Intel is in a complete self inflicted downward spiral though.

KIAB likes this.
  11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Now Threadripper is very interesting beast, 64 pci-e lanes, so two graphic card each running a full 16 lanes will make a tremendous pc, would be perfect for a flight sim/ racing sim running at 4k, even 8k on projector or large tv.

AMD has done it's research & the Ryzen 3,5, & 7 series, it has Intel battered & bruised,they are rushing out new/upgraded cpu's in reply, then you have AMD EPYC, a 32-core / 64-thread cpu,it will support eight memory channels and two DIMMs per channel, for a total maximum memory capacity of 2TB per socket, or 4TB of RAM in a two-socket system. Each CPU will also offer 128 lanes of PCI Express 3.0 support — enough to connect up to six GPUs at x16 each with room left over for I/O support. That’s in a one-socket system, well that really has Intel on the ropes, they didn't expect that, Intel will lose quite a bit of the server market as a result.

I'm waiting for AMD Vega,& whether it can thrash a GTX1080, I do hope so.:)

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

To be honest, it wouldn't surprise me in the least if Intel's server market started to disintegrate in front of there eyes. Dell have already got on board with EPYC as have Microsoft and Amazon, along with a shed load of Wall street anyalysts that use enormous computing power. Once The London stock exchange and the far east stock exchanges do as well, it can only go one way for Intel. I posted on a tec forum some time ago that what is happening with AMD and Intel at the moment is the same as what happened with Kodak and Fuji in the 1970's. Different markets, but Kodak had the same reaction to Fuji as Intel has to AMD............................and we all know where Kodak is now.

13. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Me thinks you may have a long wait on that then lol. AMD have already U-turned on the use of Vega and stated it's more of a compute card than an out and out gaming card............................never mind the miners will be pleased lol.

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might just be a red herring.:)

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Might jus

And Nvidia will go the same way.

16. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Probably not now that Intel could be in terminal decline. Have a look at this...............it's long winded but it tells you what Intel had in mind for Nvidia.

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Come August 14th we will know everything about AMD Vega & it's performance,may even cause Nvidia to reduce their prices to be more competitive. upload_2017-8-5_9-28-30.gif

Last edited: Aug 5, 2017
  18. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Still using my i7-920 powered home built PC, must be nearly 8 years old now and still going strong. Mind you, I did upgrade my memory a while back to the max...24GB :D

KIAB likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Even today the i7 920 is still a good cpu,when it came out back in 2009, it was expensive,but it could thrash the Intel Extreme QX9770,& today can still hold it's own with the newer cpu's.
    But,like a lot of cpu's you needed a new 1366 socket motherboard for the i7 920, 24Gb memory was maximum amount for the board, how times have changed today a lot of peeps are running 32Gb minimum, I'm running 64Gb presently.
    Looking at upgrading to Ryzen 5 shortly & the cost of 32GB DRR4:eek: is shocking, has doubled in price since last year, should have bought more then.:(

Last edited: Aug 11, 2017
    Dr Bodgit likes this.