An inside look at what you get for your money Festool TS 55 Track Saw

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Welshdragon1, Feb 28, 2017.

1. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

How many will be disappointed.....??

2. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

How can anyone know so much!! Impressive knowledge.

3. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

If these saws have so many issues, then why is there low failure rates? Festool have a registration system, where you enter all the details of your individual machine. You can report a failure on the site, and Festool will have it shipped to them for repair. Not many other tool manufacturers that offer that level of customer care.

I personally love mine, and couldn't give a toss what he said in the video. There is one point he makes, about handling the saw, which is right. I take care when handing the TS55, and I would expect most do considering the price.

Far from disappointed.

4. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

A thousand dollar saw that only goes up to six??? You'd expect it to go to eleven at least......

I've seen his stuff before and he's clearly a clever man but at what cost? He deliberately misses the point and is playing to his audience. Sound like anyone else we know? Answers on a postcard please - don't start another thread!

5. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

I worked with a friend just last week who used the same kit, it worked faultlessly and accurately, great results!

6. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

I bought mine seven years ago second hand, since then I have used it at least twice a week or more and have dropped it on concrete a couple of times too. it still gives accurate results every time.

7. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I really don't what point of the post is... ?

I have seen brand new Ferrari's in dealers and before they go out they to do they have to be resprayed and have the doors rehung because they don't fit. If you bump one the body panels crack and bits fall off. A Porsche 911 used to have 60% of its mechanicals from a VW Transporter, didn't make it any less of a super car.

Despite the above people still see the overall quality and enjoy the ownership, same with Festool, as long as it does its job well is reliable do I really care about some components may not the most finely engineered - not really

CGN likes this.
  8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Still on the to buy list. Spent £300 last week on a new Makita combi drill and lots of hand tools and odds and sods. Have most of what I need...and can get by but trying to up my game with the carpentry side of things both in terms of extra attention to detail and speed.
    Anyhow, they're not that much more than other brand equivalents...the guy is just being a nause!!

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've had mine at least 15 years and it's been used and abused, never been serviced, still going strong.

CGN likes this.
  10. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

As for power tools and hand tools, carpentry is the most expensive game to be in. But there's also some of the nicest tools aimed at Chippies.

It's always nice to treat yourself to some new tools. There will always be one tool you buy that makes you realize how slow and over complicated the method you used to use was.

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

That's good to hear :)

12. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yeah...true Joe. I'm certainly not shy when it comes to buying new kit...just that work seems to be so random at the mo that I haven't got anything lined up in the near future where I can exploit it fully :)

13. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

I'm flat out at the moment, so haven't given much thought to what I want next. I did get a KS60 recently, and I've used it for a stud wall and lots of skirting. It puts the Evolution to shame!

14. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Funny you should say that! My Evolution broke 2 days back...fixable, but I did start to look at mitre saws then. Plenty of work on...but wearing too many hats with regards to type of work.

15. Joe95

Joe95 Screwfix Select

They are great saws for the money. They do need some adjusting if you want accurate cuts, but it's not too much of a deal when you get used to it. I changed the brushes twice in my Evo, which isn't too bad for five years of service.
    Still not a patch on the premium kit though.

CGN likes this.
  16. e30mark

e30mark Member

I've got two of these, both ten years old. One has had a new set of brushes, the other has never had anything done to it!

To be honest both bases are showing signs of wear, but cut perfectly within acceptable limits.