Another Conservatory Insulation Project...

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by benrpatterson, Aug 26, 2015.

1. benrpatterson

benrpatterson New Member

Hi everyone,

Been hanging around for a while reading much of the thread on conservatory roof insulation.

So i'm going to start my project all being well.

From reading the many comments on this forum, it seems the cheapest and simplest way to do this is to Stixall some Celotex boards directly to the glazing bars, and then finish with UPVC cladding or Lining paper. It it doesn't work as expected it can be taken down.

Sounds good to me and should achieve what i'm after.

After having a good look around my conservatory my concern is the glazing bars and if they will hold the weight of the additional load.

I attached some pictures of the bars, what do you think load wise, will it be strong enough?

The bars on either end seem to be hollow, just plastic, and the three middle bars do have some aluminium inserts it seems. image1.JPG image2.JPG image3.JPG image4.JPG image5.JPG

2. Eeek - what's that stuff blocking the ends? Can you remove that for a better look-see?

Anyways, you have a few choices: t'first is to use 25 or 35mm thick Celotex-type material which is light and shouldn't add any significant weight to your roof. Then cover this with a thick lining paper before painting. Ie - go 'safe' and go lightweight. Almost certainly there will be no issues with this. (There are thicker thermal lining 'papers' you can use too, up to a few mm thick, but check the weight first. Hopefully light tho'.

Or, over-clad in T&G either PVC or timber - but take the risk due to weight. Hard for us to judge on here.

Or, if there aren't any ali sections in some of these bars (and they do seem to have a bow...) then buy some simply rectangular section and slide it up there.

Or, build a completely separate ceiling, either flat or vaulted, by adding a timber wallplate along t'top and taking 'rafters' from there.

3. benrpatterson

benrpatterson New Member

Hi DA, thanks for the reply.

I'm not quite sure whats blocking those ends, I think is some sort of filler, but i'll check later.

There are 5 bars in total, the three middle do have the ali bars, the 2 ends don't for sure, but yeah there is a slight bow which gives me concern about adding anything to it. The conservatory is just a lean to type, 360 x 280 (w x l)

Where would i find such ali bars to slide into the end sections? And how much difference would that make?

PVC cladding would be my preference I suppose, but I don't want to take a chance on the roof collapsing :)

If I was going to go for the separate flat ceiling, what sort of size timber should i use? My only issue with this is I have about 60mm gap between the roof and the first window which i don't really want to cover over. Do I need to be concerned with ventilation if I go for that option?

Thanks for your help, as you can tell anything more than basic DIY is not really my thing, but I guess I need to learn at some point :)

Cheers!
    Ben

4. A photo of the whole connie would help. Including one showing the window you want to avoid.

Also tell us the width of the connie - what the span of timbers would be.

5. benrpatterson

benrpatterson New Member

Here are the measurements,

Width = 360cm
    Lenght = 280cm

The glazing bars are set at roughly 80cm intervals and are 7cm wide.

Oh found an old photo to show the whole thing :)

56758_2884045_IMG_03_0000.jpg

6. So the ali spans are 2.8m?

I see what you mean by the small gap to the window tops - that pretty much rules out a separate ceiling frame.

There also isn't much of an overall 'fall' on that roof, so I wouldn't want it sagging any more than it is...

Celotex is light, tho', so I'm pretty sure you'd be ok with this. But I wouldn't like to add any more weight to this, so my gut feeling is that cladding is out. I mean, it will probably be ok, but that doesn't mean it will be for definite. And there's no way I can judge from here if it will be.

IF, however, some of these spans are purely PVC and can have ali box section slide in there, I reckon that would add a lot to the rigidity.

Measure what size of rectangle will fit in there with a mm to spare, and then surf...

7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Isn't the stuff in the end of the roof bars just some silicone that was put there to stick end caps on, that have now fallen off.

8. benrpatterson

benrpatterson New Member

1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG
    1.JPG 2.JPG 3.JPG

Good Morning,
    Yes the white stuff on the end is just silicone.
    The ali spans are indeed 2.8m. The spans without aluminium inside are the two end spans, which are actually very solid, they don't move when forced.
    So would it still be worthwhile to put ali into the end spans?
    The three in the middle however do have some play in them, which makes me think am I just going to end up with a saggy celling? :)
    Couple more pictures of the conservatory added

9. Hi Ben.

Ooookkaaayyy.... The photo might be exaggerating the sag, but it does look a bit worrying to me. Chust imagine a foot of snow on top of that...

If the middle spans already have that ali section in them, they ain't going to to improved in any easy way. And adding ali to the end ones ain't gonna make any difference either - 'cos they are supported by the walls...

The only solution I can think of - and I think it'll work - is to go ahead and glue up yer Celotex. Make it no thicker than 35mm - that will be plenty.

Fit them neatly and tightly, and tap them where they join and also along the edges. If there are any gaps, then squeeze in a thin bead of expanding foam. That's a THIN bead - 'cos the stuff expands.

THEN, get a 3.6m beam - I dunno, ali box or a 6x2 timber - and fit it along from side to side in t'middle, using brackets that'll fix to the 'uprights' betwixt the windows along the sides. Brace the roof upwards with this until that sag has be eradicated as much as possible, and fix it in place.

In your photo #5, I can only see one vertical section between the windows. Is there only one, or is there another not shown in the pic, closer to the house wall? If there is another, then fit a beam across there too.

Will a 6" timber coming down from the ceiling give you a headache? If so, you might have to go for something that's smaller but more rigid - like thicker-walled ali section (or even steel if you are man enough to handle it...)

With a couple of sideways beams like this, your problems should be over. Then happily clad your insulation with your choice of material. Either also clad around the beams or leave them showing and paint them as a feature...

I cannot think of any other solution.

I don't know what size of section will be required - you'll need advice on this. Clearly it'll have to be as light as possible (for ease of handling) but stiff enough to not bend over a 3.6m span and also take a reasonable amount of the weight of the roof so's it adds significant strength to it. Look up and visit a local metalworks. Go there and explain the issue. Have a look at what they have - hold some section samples and see how stiff they are.

10. benrpatterson

benrpatterson New Member

Hi DA,

Thanks a lot for your idea, and plan - Sounds like the way to go as yeah the sag does look like a worrying and can only get worse I imagine :)

Glad I checked before I started :)

One more thing I was thinking about, how much heat will be lost through the tiled floor? There is drainage access there also, so I was just planning underlay and carpet to go over the tiles. Could always take the carpet up if need access to the drainage. Would carpet/underlay make much difference? Layer of insulation first maybe?

Thanks
    Ben

11. (I mean 'tape' not 'tap; "Fit them neatly and tightly, and tape them where they join and also along the edges...")

I'm not an expert on this insulation malarkey, but a solid, uninsulated floor will 'feel' cold and be a bit of a drain, tho' not as much as the walls and roof. It'll probably make lower foot or so of air feel chilly in winter, so anything you add to it should help a lot.

I'm not sure what the best stuff to use is - you'd want it to be as easy to lay as possible, and presumably life it again during the summer months? Certainly good quality carpet underlay will help, especially if you chose one that is designed to have good insulation properties.

An alternative is a low-density fibreboard sheets (around 8mm thick?) which is designed for under laminate/wood floors and comes in small sheets (I dunno - 3' x 2' ish) and can be simply plonked down, butted up and the carpet placed on top. I've used that stuff (got it from Wickes) a few years ago under my hallway's wooden floor, and it sure helps a lot.

You may need to keep an eye on it all, tho', 'cos there's a chance that warm (moist) air will get through the carpet, past the board and condense out on the very cold tiles surface underneath. You should lift the carpet and a panel every now and then to check it ain't damp.

Best get other peep's opinions too on this one...

12. benrpatterson

benrpatterson New Member

What about some 25mm celotex directly on the tiles, then fibreboard on top...?

13. Celotex is too soft to walk on - your stilettos will go right through...

You'll need something solid like flooring chipboard first if you want carpet.

Or a wood/laminate floor laid directly on top will be ok (with the correct underlay to absorb movement).

Use the thinnest Celotex you can so's not to reduce head height.

Even 25mm Jablite (basically expanded poly foam) will add significant insulation.

14. benrpatterson

benrpatterson New Member

OK, so celotex 25mm fully taped all around + 18mm chipboard + underlay + carpet = success?

15. I reckon so.

But I'd be happier if a pro on here confirmed... :oops:

16. John Lake

John Lake New Member

We've had ours done with a multi-foil insulation quilt, finished with UPVC cladding. Nice and lightweight, great clean finish, and makes such a difference in that we can now use our conservatory all year round. It was the guys at Sagars 365 that did ours, for those not entirely confident doing it themselves I'd highly recommend them.