Any of you Fitters able to identify this edging please?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Turtletom100, Jan 10, 2017.

1. Turtletom100

Turtletom100 Member

A question for you kitchen fitters, I'm in a rented property being here 7 years and the edging of the breakfast bar has peeled off and where It has being one of them jobs where I say to myself "I will sort it at the weekend" then it never got done. The edge is now chipped/peeled in places where it has being left.

I am assuming it is just a edging tape of some description, but I just can't find anywhere that sell the stuff in this colour.

This are the best photo's I could get but it's like a granite grey with blue, black and white speckles:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I always make a point of writing the name of a worktop on the underside of a worktop where you can see it,in case you need to replace any.:)

Similar to 'mouse dust', but with blue specks, have an idea, just need to find the book.

Any makers name on underside to narrow down search.

CGN likes this.
  3. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

If the chips are small, you could probably get away using some grey 'color fill' which is a product used to seal and repair worktop joins/scratches etc. Would prob blend in ok to the eye and a lot less hassle (and safer) than trying to take off the old strip.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Definitely from Bushboard I say, something like Prima 1782 Stardust, just can't find their book.

Once we know, the Colourfill should have matching repair filler.

5. Look under the worktop and see if it has 'Duropal' or any other name on it. If it has, then you can check that company's website and look at their colours.

If it's chust the odd wee chip like that, tho', I'd be very tempted to fill it (wood filler, car body filler) and paint it to 'match'. Obviously it won;t be perfect, but I bet you won't notice.

If you are planning to actually peel off that edge strip and glue on a replacement, finishing off the top edges with perfection, then I hope you have done this type of job before...

6. Turtletom100

Turtletom100 Member

Cheers for all your replies guys,

I have had a look under the breakfast bar that hangs over and there is nothing so I have had a look under the sink (as that cupboard was easiest to look at the underneath of the worktop) but still can't see nothing.

This is all I am seeing underneath: (i not sure why the photos have rotated round)
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

With regards to just filling it, I don't think that will work as it is in a few places and one bit has peeled away and snapped where I didn't glue it back on.

[​IMG]

7. Hopefully someone can ID the top make from that photo - it looks like 'pixelated' printing.

Ah - yep, you won't repair that large bit easily.

Do bear in mind that it's tricky to fix these strips, or at least to get a good neat edge where it joins along the top edge.

If you are a decent DIYer - fairly good with yer fingers (ooh-er, missus) - then give it a bash. Contact adhesive ('Evo-Stk etc) is usually used.

Turtletom100 likes this.
  8. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Last edited: Jan 10, 2017
    Turtletom100 likes this.
  9. Turtletom100

Turtletom100 Member

10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Just a thought, have you checked above kitchen cabinets, loft etc just in case any left over edging has been stashed anywhere? I sometimes stash a few bits and pieces behind kick boards too...

11. Phil the Paver

It's not a good pic, if you blow it up, it does have a blue fleck, its not exactly like yours, but maybe just enough, on the edge to get away with it.

Turtletom100 likes this.
  12. Turtletom100

Turtletom100 Member

I shall let you know how it goes, cheers again mate

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

[​IMG]

Poke your nose in Homebase & have a nosey, they stock Bushboard Prima 1782 Stardust.

14. Phil the Paver

That's the one I linked, from a different place. :)

15. BuilderCol

BuilderCol New Member

If you can't match it, you could always turn a "cock-up" into a feature and go for some gloss black, I think that would look ok.

Astramax likes this.
  16. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Beat me to it, Hot air gun and scraper blade will soon fetch it off, apply contact adhesive to both surfaces let dry and fit, use a Stanley knife blade as a scraper on the edges to clean up.