Any point in trade account?

Discussion in 'Screwfix Trade Counters' started by AceRimmer, Nov 9, 2012.

1. AceRimmer

AceRimmer New Member

The credit facilities aside, is there any point in getting a trade card, i.e. discount?

2. G Brown

G Brown New Member

You can use it at B&Q and you get prefferential prices on certain items.

3. ThomasPlumbas

ThomasPlumbas New Member

Trade accounts are essential if you want to be taken seriously.

They give you time to carry out the work without having to pay up front so have time to fit the items, get paid for it before having to pay for them.

If it is reputable 'Trade Counter' you will be getting lots of discount, mine varies between 60% and 10% depending upon the item. Big sheds are not as willing to negotiate.  

4. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I have the Tradepoint card (for B&Q) Was in there the other weekend buying a bag of cement for my dad. Price without the card? £1.81p.... Price with the card?  £1.18p (including VAT) So a saving of about a third to be had. ;)

5. bcooper

bcooper New Member

I think trade cards are great - I use mine to scrape the ice off my windscreen or smooth down a phone protector screen to get the air bubbles out.
    Apart from that they are useless - The B&Q one only works on products you can get cheaper elsewhere anyway.

6. SJS Building

SJS Building New Member

Just came across this thread and I know its just over 10yrs old but was very interested in the price quoted for a bag of cement in Nov 2012
    Feb 2023
    B&Q i.e DIY.com £6.60 inc VAT
    TradePoint £5.50 +VAT
    So no price difference and about the same price from Travis and Selco
    But walk in to Wickes (A Travis owned company) a prepare to pay £7.55inc though you can get trade discount but still cheaper in B&Q!
    Makes a difference when your ordering a pallet at a time.

7. Tradepoint card is 10% off B&q prices, that applies even if the item is already on sale, so occasionally there are some good discounts to be had

8. SJS Building

SJS Building New Member

Plus Wickes do a "Trade Pro Card" which gives you a 10% discount for people in the trade.
    But with prices increasing almost on a daily basis as another retailer says Every Little Helps

9. Truckcab79

Truckcab79 Screwfix Select

Wickes 10% off everything but quality is poor and out of stocks awful. Screwfix ’trade’ price seems to be 0 on most things as far as I can tell.

Best discount by far is with Lawsons as one guy looks after my orders. Discount seems to be a bit random from ‘free delivery’ to ‘huge discount’ but he always looks after me.

If you are DIY and have time to shop around you can probably better a lot of ‘trade’ prices.

Deleted member 246321 likes this.
  10. stevie22

stevie22 Screwfix Select

It all seems totally random to me: I got 10% or so a few weeks ago and then nothing last week.

Parking spaces are wider and queues usually shorter are the only real benefit!

11. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Benefit of so called 'Trade' or 'Merchants' prices is the up to 8 weeks free credit!......I get up to 27% reduction for so called Trade Price however Wickes stock branded paints are often a lot cheaper.

12. Wayne Austin

Wayne Austin New Member

100% worth it, have cards with most of the stores and is essential for cash flow

13. Alan22

Alan22 Screwfix Select