Badly stained bathroom tiles

Discussion in 'Tilers' Talk' started by Danwestgarth, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Danwestgarth

Danwestgarth New Member

The tiles to my bathroom are heavily stained due to a dripping service valve to the toilet. The valve has been replaced and the water drip has stopped.

I want to restore the tiles to their former glory. Please see the pics, one is of the staining and other is a example of how the tiles should look!! Can anyone recommend any cleaning products?

Thanks in advance.
    IMG_7585.JPG IMG_7116.jpg

2. TT Nog

TT Nog New Member

Try something called "Spirits of Salt".......and dont breathe it in !

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Contains hydrochloric acid, won't that be a bit vicious, never used it to clean tiles before, only brickwork.

It will clean and dissolves cement, tile adhesives,etc.

What about Cillit Bang Power Cleaner Limescale & Shine, I've use to get rust stains off tiles.

4. Are these porcelain or real stone?

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

That is what concerns me, Spirits of Salts can be use it to etch concrete floors.

6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I would be tempted to try one of those mini household steam cleaner first before trying chemicals.

7. Ghost-1

Ghost-1 Active Member

Wot are the stained tiles fitted onto?

Still looks damp?

If it is travertine?, you'll be better off replacing.

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks like travetine, is it the honed and filled.

There are some stone cleaners available, try this before on a small area first.

Visit your local tiling shop and they will advise on whether it may need some kind of sealing.

9. Danwestgarth

Danwestgarth New Member

The tiles have dried out now and yes I think they are travertine. As theres only a few badly stained ones I think it might just be best to remove and replace. Would it be best to be best to hammer/chisel the stained ones out?

10. Andrew Whiteman

Andrew Whiteman New Member