Ball valve gone? Dripping Immersion Tank

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by michaelsft, Sep 10, 2017.

1. michaelsft

michaelsft New Member

Hi everyone!

There's an annoying drip in the top tank which is constant. It's not overflowed or anything but I am concerned it will. After reading this forum I came to the conclusion it might be a faulty ball valve (simply going off what other people have said about similar issues). I have no idea what a ball valve is or if it's easy to replace. Anyway, below are some questions from me, if would be awesome if someone could help me understand this unit as I've never even seen one before moving into my new flat.

So first things first, this is what I have. Please correct me if I'm wrong but I believe the cold water comes in from the middle valve with the red turning tap and the hot water comes out at the top right? Currently the red turning tap is closed as I'm having a hot tap in the bath fitted and is in pieces and it'll be like that for another day or two while some parts are sourced.

[​IMG]

Anyway, the drip is definitely in the top part, I can hear it clearly however I cannot get a screwdriver in to the valve to try and close it due to the position of the wall. To get it to stop dripping I turned off all the water via the stop tap in the bathroom. Obviously I have no water now but the drip from the top is gone which doesn't make sense if my assumptions about that being where water goes out of is correct. Surely water dripping down would be from water going in the other direction?

[​IMG]

Is the top valve (pictured in detail here) the 'ball valve'? Is it an easy job for a plumber to fit a new one?

[​IMG]

Thank you for reading, any help, advice or general scolding for me not knowing what the hell I'm doing is greatly appreciated!

Also while I’m here, I may as well add that when my toilet fills up after flushing it too has a drip that lasts a long time, though does stop. I don’t think it normal to be honest as it goes on for a long time. Some sort of perished washer issue somewhere maybe?

Thanks again!
    Michael

2. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

No links to pictures are working unfortunately. Try attaching pictures again. Often easier direct from a smart phone

3. michaelsft

michaelsft New Member

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Photo's need to be 2Mb or less in size.

5. michaelsft

michaelsft New Member

Hmm well they are all less than 100kb in size so not sure why I'm having trouble but the links should work.

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

no pics ???

7. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

My browser is reluctant to let me open those links. Have you asked the person who is fitting your hot tap and has it in pieces whilst parts are being sourced? That requires a degree of competence.
    It sounds like your isolating valve has been rotated during installation or modification - or you simply need a shorter screwdriver. This valve merely isolates the ballcock in the header tank (that's what's dripping - same as your toilet I suspect) to allow you to service or replace the ballcock. It probably just needs the washer replacing.
    Same goes for your toilet I think. Can you see inside? It sounds like it might be a ballcock as well. In this case you can either replace the washer or it's not too big a job to swap the whole filling assembly for a more modern design which shuts off more precisely - a Siamp valve or similar.
    Good luck.

michaelsft likes this.