Band saw... advice please.

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by billfromarran, Apr 1, 2017.

Tags:
  1. billfromarran

billfromarran Active Member

I am thinking of buying a band saw, for general woodwork such as fixing boats making bits & pieces of furniture, big toys for kids etc etc.
    I have a few machines such as table saw, planer/thicknesser, crosscut , but have always hankered after a bandsaw. I have plenty space.
    What are the opinions of this one.
    http://www.dm-tools.co.uk/product.php/section/6111/sn/RPWBS400#.WOAW2PkrLIU
    Not necessarily bought from this company, just this make.. Record seems to have a good rep.
    All views welcome Thanks.

2. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Record have a mixed reputation. A good thing is that you are not looking at the bottom end where the bandsaws are truly awful.

If you have never had one from new before, they can be a real swine to set up from scratch. I had a look at some of the "Trade" ones from Axminster, they look quite good. Some of the Axminster stores will deliver and set it up for you which is well worth it, plus if you have an significant issue they will come to you rather than try and sort it via a contact centre. Their version of "Hobby" and "trade" isn't so much on build quality but based on average running time per month. The Trade ones are designed for more continuous use, so unless you are going to be there for an hour or so, you may be able to get by with a hobby one.

http://www.axminster.co.uk/axminster-trade-series-sbw3501b-bandsaw-501199

3. billfromarran

4. billfromarran

Thanks.. I had not looked at that one, The reason I liked the Record machine is that I bought a Record bench drill to replace a cheapie, and the quality is superb.
    I am happy to pay a bit more , especially for tools ,but am trying to budget for around a grand.. I have used "bottom end" saws and they are not very easy or pleasant to use. I would reckon to be using it 3 or 4 times per week, prob. more at weekends.
    Are there any bad issues with the Record Saws?
    Time for bed. Thanks again.

5. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

[​IMG] I used to operate one like this.

P. Gee likes this.
  6. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Had a few Record tools over the years, they were ok

Quite a few articles on UKWorkshop.co.uk site about the Record and also lots of on bandsaws in general

7. Paulie1412

Paulie1412 Active Member

Had a similiar record bandsaw in the workshop, only problem we ever found with it was the small guide wheels on the bed used to wear rather quickly.
    On a lot of bandsaws they use bearing guides for some reason record used a flat metal disc which is best thrown straight in the bin and replaced with a bearing guide, results in blades lasting longer

8. dwlondon

dwlondon Active Member

I have a record 250, which is good enough to do lightweight cuttings. You need to get the right blade for whatever you are doing and there are many of them. You can achieve a reasonable cut, but to clean it up and get a crisp accurate edge you would need a bobbin sander. I use it to cut horns on sash stiles, which it manages with a struggle, so the 250 is probably more of a hobby play about level. Mostly I use it to cross cut leftovers for the fire. I tried to eBay it once, but no one offered.

I also have a record mortice drill and grinder, which are good. I sheered a pin on the morticer and record picked it up repaired and returned for free in the 5 year guarantee.

9. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Not all blades are equal, quailty varies greatly,use to use Starrett.

A lot of bandsaws wheels are two plates joined together, not patch on the old alumimum wheels with rubber tyres, I had on my Kity 613, can even still get them retyred for £70.:eek:
    The 613 would put a lot of todays bandsaws to shame for quailty,reliability, always regret having to sell mine.

http://www.dbkeighley.co.uk/masters/kitty613.htm

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Had a few Kity table saws over the years and the quality has dropped considerably as they have gone for the usual generic rebadged far eastern design

If I was going to get a replacement bandsaw, I would look out for one of those ex-school / technical college Startrite machines

KIAB likes this.
  12. billfromarran

Good Morning and thanks for all the replies, There seems to be a regular supply of bandsaws on E bay etc. however most are south of the Border..( I live on an island in Scotland so not so easy to organise)
    I have looked at ex school college machines, but price wise they are about the same as a new saw.
    Funnily enough I have a Kity planer/thicknesser, bought 30 odd years ago, excellent piece of kit,still used regularly.
    I will have a look at UK workshop site & see what is there as well. Thanks again all for taking the time to help.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Real shame Scheppach took over Kity, they tarnish the Kity name with cheap rebadged tack today, & made spares impossible to obtain for the early 613's,using the age of the machine as an excuse.:(
    Startite were very good, use to use a three wheel model years ago, most today are two wheel models.

This what I like, if I had the space, similar to Startrite 403 .:(

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Bandsaw-S...029463?hash=item2a7e538617:g:O1MAAOSwuxFY292r

Last edited: Apr 2, 2017
  14. billfromarran

Thanks for that!... It is located fairly near where I live.Dunno how I missed it! It does not state if it single or 3 phase though, but I have sent a message to find out. Will report on progress.

KIAB likes this.
  15. billfromarran

Just had another look.. it is 3 phase. Pity. Should have gone to specsavers.!

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Could you change the motor?

17. billfromarran

Probably.,, I have a couple of old motors which might do.

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Have a look on Ebay there are some really good makes on there when I was browsing earlier

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Can be over come.

20. P. Gee

P. Gee Active Member

I'd agree with that, find a good solid bandsaw made when we made tools well. I've got a Satrtrite machine, well used when I bought it 26 years ago and still going strong. I've had various bits and peices made by Record, but to be honest I probably wouldn't waste my money on them again.