Banging from loft and hot water coming out of overflow pipe - HELP

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Caz72, Dec 8, 2010.

1. Caz72

Caz72 New Member

Hi

I hope someone can help me out.

We have an old boiler and central heating system in out house, recently, we have  had alot of banging coming from the loft and pipes near the pump (this actually feels like the whole house is shaking) and steaming hot water starts spewing out of the overflow pipe at the front of the house. We had got a plumber in who put some stuff (liquid) in the central heating and changed the pump upstairs near the cylinder, this has not solved the problem and it seems its is getting worse, its now starting to scare my daughters and myself, can anyone please point us in the right direction of what else we can do as we are now so scared that the house is going to blow up if we turn it on again, considering the snow and low temps we have been having lately this is not good.

PLEEEEEAAAASSSSEEE HHEEEELLLLPPPPP!

Thank you:(

2. P_Terry

P_Terry New Member

I had the same problem. I can't remember what it was but I had to keep running water from the taps to stop it from spilling out the overflow. I got a plumber in and he sorted it (in the loft). He only charged £40 and said it was a common problem.

Sound like maybe the plumber you got it was a bit of a muppet. Maybe try a different plumber?

3. sussexplumb1

sussexplumb1 New Member

Call in a decent plumber -sounds like the first one thought the system was noisy or sludged and put an additve.  If you have hot water/steam coming from the overflow then either theres a problem with the c/h boiler overheating or if you have an immersion maybe the thermostat in it has gone wrong and the hot water is venting into the tank. Either way you need to get it fixed properly.