Bare Plaster Paint - Advice please

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Jellies, Feb 13, 2015.

1. Jellies

Jellies New Member

[​IMG]
    I am renovating a house at the moment and have painted the newly plastered walls with 2 coats of the No Nonsense Bare Plaster Paint Brilliant White. My questions are:
    1 - How soon can I paint over it with a bathroom paint for the en-suites?
    2 - How soon can I paint over it with a kitchen paint?
    3 - How soon can I paint over it with any other paint - eg coloured?

My other question is:
    Are bathroom and kitchen paints necessary?
    What would happen if I used ordinary emulsion in a bathroom/kitchen?

Thank you in advance.

http://www.screwfix.com/p/no-nonsense-trade-bare-plaster-paint-brilliant-white-10ltr/51004

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Surely you can paint over it as soon as it is dry.

kitchen and bathroom paints tend not to absorb water/steam and are washable.

Jellies likes this.
  3. Jellies

Jellies New Member

Phil the Paver: thank you. Yes I thought I could paint over whenever I wanted, but someone today mentioned that the paint would still be allowing the plaster to breathe, therefore I thought if I panted over it with bathroom/kitchen paint it might cause some sort of issue? Thank you for your time.

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Kitchen and bathroom paints are another way of selling an eggshell paint in a different guise. How long has the plastering been drying?

Jellies likes this.
  5. Jellies

Jellies New Member

Quite a few weeks now, the plaster has said it was ready to paint, but didn't seem confident regards type of paint. Thank you.

6. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

The Contract matt is a non vinyl paint in other words it lets moisture escape through it, I would say that if its been quite a few weeks you will now be ok to paint over the contract matt with a vinyl paint, thin the first coat say 15%-20% with water followed by 2 full coats when dry.

Jellies likes this.
  7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Eggshell paint is what I use in kitchens and bathroom as it resists the build up of condensation.

Jellies likes this.
  8. Jellies

Jellies New Member

Thank you, much appreciated. Kind regards.

9. Jellies

Jellies New Member

Great, that's fantastic advice. Thank you again.

10. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Eggshell paints offer a matt, low sheen finish, if that's what your after then use an eggshell, I prefer a more gloss looking finish, this you get with a bathroom / kitchen paint.

Jellies likes this.
  11. Jellies

Jellies New Member

Ooooh ok, thank you. I shall have a think, I had assumed more matt, but need to re-think now. Thank you.

12. Yeah always eggshell in bathrooms/ kitchens where the moisture in the air is greater, its more expensive but it will save you a lot of headache further on down the line because it is sealed so is less likely to collect condensation.

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015
    Jellies likes this.
  13. Jellies

Jellies New Member

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 19, 2015