Basin Plug will not stop water draining away

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Graham500, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Graham500

Graham500 New Member

I have just fitted a new basin but the plug, although seeming to sit in the waste hole, will not stop water leaking past. Even if the plug is manually pushed down, it pops back a fraction thus allowing the water to leak away.

How can I stop this please ?

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

What type of waste is it, post a pic if poss.

3. Sounds like a push and pull lever type? Not sure of correct name of type.

Incorrectly adjusted by the sound of it

4. Phil the Paver

My thinking is similar but it not actually the plug that's leaking, if it has a built in overflow it could be leaking around the seal of the waste to basin, this happened on my new bathroom sink, stumped me for hours working out how water could escape the sink but not leak out into the under cupboard.

s-l1000.jpg

Water escapes through the slot and down the pipe.

5. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Had a similiar problem on a hand basin some time ago with pop up waste

Some of the plugs have an 'eye' at the bottom of the height adjustment screw that the rod links through. When you pull the rod up, the link rod is physically pulling the plug down to seal

With other types, the adjustment screw just sits on the rod and relies on gravity to drop down and form a seal (as you pull the rod up)

This gravity method works ok when the plug is metal as has some weight behind it. Quite a few of the plugs now are plastic and therefore have no weight behind them - not good for the gravity method

That was the issue with my basin so just replaced the plug with a metal one from eBay, less than 3 quid I recon and now seals perfectly

After reading ur post again sounds more like a 'click clack' waste - push to seal / push to open

There may be some adjustment on it by rotating the plug, although this often unscrews the plug .... dunno, give it a try

6. Graham500

Graham500 New Member

Many thanks for the comments. Yes, the picture show exactly what I have fitted and is operated by a plunger behind the taps. The plug just doesn't seal at the rubber ring. Pushing down on the plug manually makes no difference, in fact it makes the problem slightly worse. I have fitted several of these and this is the first one to give this problem. Maybe I should buy anther plug and see if this does the same thing.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

If the basin hole is a bit wonkey, rubber washer will never seal it pefectly, will always leak,dribble.
    Bed it on a ring of Plumber's gold sealant, sink,basin, bath, etc, I alway use this sealant for bedding the outlets, even toilet syphons, 100% water tight, never failed me yet.
    Only stocked by TS.

http://www.everbuild.co.uk/plumbers-gold

8. Phil the Paver

My thinking is it isn't the plug that's leaking, its the actual waste to basin that's leaking, Red on pic, do as KIAB says above and seal around the underside of the waste.

2017-02-15 16.35.47.jpg

9. Graham500

Graham500 New Member

Many thanks to all who replied.

When I stripped down the waste pipe I discovered that I had not placed the sealing washers on either side of the waste but both were on the underside. Stupid error. When I refitted the waste with the sealing washers on both sides of the plughole and applied a generous dose of sealant problem solved !

KIAB and Phil the Paver like this.