Bathroom ceiling fan with light with timer

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by azizrasul, Jul 14, 2014.

1. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

Is there a bathroom ceiling fan with light plus timer that gives 100 W output lighting?

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I doubt it!

3. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

4. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

I mean't 100 W light output that you would get from a tungsten filament lamp in the old days. Would 10 W or 3 W LED lamps give the equivalent of 100 watts light output?

5. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

these lights are intended to illuminate the area immediately below - which is more often than not JUST the shower/cubicle

they aren't intended for illuminating an entire room (if that's what you are wanting to do with it)

6. flateric

flateric Well-Known Member

7. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

Two great products to make a decision on. Many thanks.

8. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

Is there an adaptor that you can buy that will reduce the 4" ducting pipe to say 2". The extractor fan is going to be used in a shower cubicle which measures 1 square metre. Also is it advisable to do this?

By way of explanation, the shower cubicle is on the ground floor and the ducting will have to go all the way up to the second floor (thru the upstairs bathroom in one corner where there a beam near the wall giving 2" space between it and the wall) and thru the loft and into the roof.

I cannot drill a hole on the outside wall where the cubicle is situated on the ground floor as there is already ducting for the central heating boiler. The idea is to use 2 reducers so that the pipe going through the roof will be 4".

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

SF do most of the Manrose rigid ducting range, there might be a reducer there linky

don't put that combined heat/light lamp within the cubicle

10. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

Apparently no reducer. Contacted them and they confirmed this to be the case. I need to look elsewhere or possible create one myself.

Point taken regarding the combined heat/light lamp.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

12. flateric

Now that would be interesting combined halogen oven and steamer. If you are not showering the meat and two veg would do a treat in there :D

13. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I suspect you'd be well past done if your meat and two veg started cooking under that light

14. flateric

Sean we could be onto something here. How do you fancy an appearance on dragons den 3 in 1 combo oven shower thingy

15. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

I'll do the talking, you do the standing under the shower/cooker demo

have you got medical insurance ?

16. flateric

I think we really need to enter into some serious negotiating before we procede any further with this venture :D

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

That's gonna be a long run of ducting for the fan to handle , especially if you need to reduce parts of it down to 50mm

Can't imagine much water vapour will actually exit the house as will be lost in the ducting and will condense back into water

I would think a condensation trap will be needed with a suitable drain off

Or consider a "beefier" unit that will deal with long ducting runs, such as used in flats with no immediate outside means of venting

But hey ho .... I'm just a diy'er !

18. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

I take your point DIYDave. Would you still say the same thing regarding the long run if I somehow manage to keep the ducting to 100mm?

19. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

yes, the longer the run the more air you'll need to shift quicker if you don't want it to condense en-route - lagging the duct helps but that's far from ideal

20. azizrasul

azizrasul Member

Is it possible to, assumming I can get a reducer, to feed the 100 mm ducting over a false ceiling and down one corner and connect to the bottle trap using a T? The 32 mm pipe from the bottle trap will go into the soil pipe outside.