Bathroom Ceiling Light Replacement

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Paul Arity, Aug 31, 2014.

1. Paul  Arity

Paul Arity New Member

Hi Help....want to replace a rusting unsightly bathroom ceiling 3 spot halogen light fitting fancy replacing with this Screwfix bathroom ceiling light fitting:

Portal Portal GLS Bathroom Ceiling Light Brushed Chrome E27 60W Product Code: 88976

Confused now as the pdf Instruction manual says:

If this unit is being fitted in a bathroom or shower room, a
    30mA RCD must be used - in accordance with IEE regulations.

House wiring updated 10 years ago new consumer unit fitted, lighting circuit not wired through RCD breakers only ring socket circuits.

Does this mean I can't fit this light fitting or any other?

Thanks

2. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Manufacturers instructions should always be complied with, sounds like your wiring system is to 16th. edition, nothing wrong with that and that would have been correct 10 years ago. I think you'll probably require a class 2 rated light unit in this situation, (or selv) which would probably not stipulate rcd protection.

FatHands likes this.
  3. Whilst I agree that manufacturer's instructions trump everything they weaken their case by adding "according to IEE regulations". If all the main and supplementary bonding is in place then additional protection by an RCD is not mandatory. So if the fitting is suitable for the environment and zone (if it's in one) then I'd say you can fit this light.

FatHands likes this.
  4. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

I guess the manufacturer is covering itself should the light be "new" rather than a replacement.

5. Drc200

Drc200 Member

To comply with the 17th edition regs all circuits in a bathroom must be protected by rcd, if the wiring is 10 yrs old you could most likely have an rcbo fitted in the consumer unit providing the required protection.

Alternatively you could feed just the bathroom lights with an rcd spur although the cost is similar to the rcbo.

There is no requirement to update to latest regs but if we never upgraded we would all still have lead cables and appliances plugged into sockets dangling from ceiling lights!

When you have just got out the shower and stretch up to dry yourself off, a belt off the light would be a bad thing, it's unlikely if it's all installed properly but for the sake of a few quid it's worth it. As the other posters have said manufacturers instructions must be followed.

6. Paul  Arity

Paul Arity New Member

Many thanks all for your advise.