Bathroom downlights stopped working all of a sudden

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Wallace2017, Apr 27, 2017.

1. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

For some unknown reason the bathroom downlights have stopped working. However, the led light is still illuminated on the pull cord and fuse hasn't tripped.

In fact, the in-line extractor fan on the same circuit still operates as it should do.

I doubt all 5 downlights bulbs have blown so it is unknown what the fault can be.

There is no transformer as the downlights are mains wired.

2. fire

fire Well-Known Member

Take out 4 bulbs and leave in one see if it lights, try a few combinations a bulb at a time.

3. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You need

Access to the wiring ( loft?)
    A two probe voltage tester )not a neon screwdriver !)
    Time
    A torch

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Sorry just noticed you say. No transformer. Used to be that sometimes the transformer for lights needs a minimum wattage attached to work. Replace dud bulb and they all light up. That's what used to happen with the old halogen bulbs. Things have moved on now so not seen this for a while. Maybe they are wired in series, like Xmas tree lights. One goes out they all go. Find the right dud bulb and replace. Think I would want to take a closer look at them and consider updating

5. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I would be surprised if they are wired in series, there would be no light from them (when they were working)
    As Bazza said you need access to the wiring, I would go for a duff connection on the first one from the switch

6. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

Thanks for the replies.

The downlights in question are fairly newly installed -
    http://www.diy.com/departments/dial...-pack-of-3/1294171_BQ.prd?_requestid=6265992#

They are wired direct to the mains board and there are no faults with any of the other first floor lights or the bathroom extractor fan on the same circuit. The wiring was recently replaced (approx. 2 months ago) but the downlights have suddenly just gone off and will not illuminate.

I have not gotten up in to the loft as yet but will do and check the wiring connections.

7. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

And 5 wired in series would require a lamp rated at 46v, hmm:rolleyes:

8. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

Looking at the wiring, they have been wired in series as one wire comes from mains and then each downlight is wired between each other with 1.5mm 2 core and earth.

9. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

They are wired in PARALLEL.

Click me

Rulland likes this.
  10. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

That's a good link for the non electrically biased Bazza :)

11. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

Oops, I meant to say parallel.

I am puzzled to why they have stopped working.

12. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Its an electrical problem.

Rulland likes this.
  13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

You're being your usual, helpful, self as normal Bazza, lol :rolleyes:

14. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Ok. Helpful me.
    Take your two probe voltage tester (not a no contact tester and certainly not a neon screwdriver)..
    Test at the junction at the working light between line and neutral.
    You should read 230volts ish
    Go to junction at the next light. Test there. Got 230volts there?
    If no volts then the problem is between light 1 And light 2. Or at the light 1 junction.

15. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

No working lights, just the indicator on the pull cord ;)
    But as Bazza suggests, test at the first lamp in the line and take it from there, it's got to be an easy fix for all lights to suddenly go belly up I reckon.

16. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

Obvious answer is if lights were installed only 2 months ago, and have been working fine until now, get the installer back to sort out the problem

If a problem with the work recently carried out, then surely down to the installer (did he also supply lights)

As no other lights or fan affected, it may well be a simple loose connection with the recent installation

Don't think it's down to you to be testing circuit for faults - not after just 2 months

Have you contacted the installer to mention the problem. ?

17. Wallace2017

Wallace2017 Member

Thanks for all the advice, as it turned out, it was a simple fix as the sparky who did the rewiring and downlight installation hadn't done the screw connection up on the pull cord switch so the negative wire had come out of its connection.

18. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

I'd want everything else he did checked then!

PS mains wiring does not have negative and positive. It has line and neutral.

Glad its fixed !

19. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As I suggested, all lights out, a common fault, simples :rolleyes: