Bathroom led lights

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Garry Ingham, Apr 29, 2017.

1. Garry Ingham

Garry Ingham Member

Wanting to fit led strips in bathroom but most seem to be plug and play. I summise they can be wired from a light switch to transformer them to lights, unless there are oth r types out there perhaps wireless or something. Is there such things as battery operated led lights

2. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

Are they suitable for use in a bathroom? They would need to be powered from a SELV supply if they are within the bathroom zones (Google it).
    Most are plug and play. But a plug means it needs a socket. And you aren't allowed one in a bathroom.
    Unlikely. The driver for the LEDs will need a switched live and a neutral. Most switches do not have a neutral. That lives in the ceiling, with the light itself.

Sure there are, both wireless switching (check out the Loox range) and lots of battery ones. Google is your friend for that.

3. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

For a bathroom the supply needs to be SELV the problem I have found is identifying which supplies are isolated many will not comply, clearly you can use batteries which is not a problem, LED's are current dependent devices, often we use resistors or capacitors to convert them to a voltage dependent device, some times even a switched mode power supply is used. So as a LED package often they are rated 12 volt some AC and some DC the latter is more normal, however with 12 volt DC that is what they want, 14.2 volt DC could damage them, a battery is normally above 12 volt even when it says 12 volt, and units designed for battery operation are normally rated 10 ~ 36 volt and have built in switch mode power supplies.

As to wireless Nikola Tesla did demonstrate wireless supply, born 1856 so yes it can be done, however the losses were so high it is not really practical. The Tesla car, original one not the modern one was suppose to run wireless, however a fire destroyed most of his stuff, and we still don't know what actually worked and what did not. So nearest to wireless power we have today is that used to charge a phone by placing it on a coil and the tooth brush charger. In real terms it can't be done.

4. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Hi

All LED bathroom strips will be 24v with a driver, I normally put them on a separate circuit so they can be switched independently from the main lights, remember you need to run a timer fan through an isolator of one circuit, as people like the option of showering with just the leds on, this wouldn't switch the fan, so I would put the fan on a motion sensor circuit only, then you have the an option for either light being on with the fan still running, you can just come off one circuit but it's not good practice, led strips come with a remote control too that works 2 way with the wall switch

5. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

So…not plug and play then:D

6. MGW

MGW Screwfix Select

Either 24 volt or needs a driver, drivers control current not voltage driver typical 320 mA at 5 to 50 volt, the voltage is not fixed with a true driver, however lighting industry is well know for poor labels calling items transformers, ballasts and drivers when they replace them but are not actually them. So you need to read the spec don't just go by label.
    With a extractor fan if required, not just fitted because you fancy one, if there is a window giving light from outside you must be able to activate the fan without switching on the lights, you can wire normally with two pole switch so it also comes on with lights, but you must be able to run fan without the lights. If the window opens you don't need a fan, so wiring so it only works with lights if the window opens is OK. There is no requirement to make fan come on with the lights, a simple pneumatic times push switch is enough to comply, often a PIR is used where you want to force people to use the fan.

I shy away from saying all, there is always an exception, I would not expect to find bathroom lights at 24 volt, as the SELV for a bathroom has a 12 volt ac limit in the wiring regs, so more likely to be 12 volt you can have 30 volt ripple free DC but getting a switch mode power supply to give ripple free output is hard, so unlikely.

7. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Hi

Please I only answered this as it was in my face when I logged in.
    I'm at home in the plumbing forum, however I do provide fully fitted luxury high end bathrooms, electrically the clients preferences are met by my extremely gifted electrician.

So forgive me for saying all 24v as I'm a gas engineer/ plumber etc and never wire anything as I'm not one of those intellectual delinquents who think they are an electrician when they have part p or self qualify their tiny minds

However, when you say you have to be able to run the fan without the lights on, is that a B/regs?

Also just open the window is definitely not building regs, fans are in fact a requirement for compliance, opening a window can produce either -/+ pressure, not forgetting our location out of the equatorial region, so opening a window in daylight but -5 outside isn't really considered an option